New iPod: 2G? 4G (B&W)? 4G (Color)? 5G?
Dec 27, 2005 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JiPi

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Now, now.. I've had a 10GB iPod 2G for quite a while now, and I really don't have any problem with it, but I'm starting to feel the itch of trying a newer version. I'm trying to decide whether I should go with the newest version of the iPod (for an incredible amount of money.. which I find ridiculous, since I'm not the biggest video addict) or maybe try to find a 4G and settle for "less". Then again, I keep reading mixed reviews about the monochromatic 4G's versus their colorful update. Is B&W generation really bad? If so, how is it bad and why would color be better?

One thing also keeping me from going 5G is the fact that it doesn't support FireWire and that my PC only has USB 1.0 (or whatever slow version that isn't 2.0). I don't want to have to dish out another 30$ for a card after buying the iPod.

I've also just bought E4's, so a nice black iPod would be awesome looking
wink.gif
But this also means that whichever generation I'm going to be getting (or staying with) will have to be able to sound good with E4. I think I had read stuff about older generations of iPods not being able to drive E4 properly, but that 5G was really good with E4.

So, bottomline, can anyone guide me as to what I should do and pleae try to explain your choices. Keep in mind, I have a 2G 10GB iPod and would like more space, don't mind that much for color and/or video but it could be a plus (if the plus compenses for the price bump that comes with it.) Also, SQ (or synergy) with E4 is a big factor.

Thanks
etysmile.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

One thing also keeping me from going 5G is the fact that it doesn't support FireWire and that my PC only has USB 1.0 (or whatever slow version that isn't 2.0). I don't want to have to dish out another 30$ for a card after buying the iPod.

Your computer has Firewire but only supports USB 1.0??? That's strange. Anyway, the 5G and Nano are USB only for syncing, although you can charge them via Firewire if you have a Firewire dock/connector.

My beautiful wife got me a black 30GB 5G for Christmas, and so far I'm pretty impressed with it. This is my first iPod. With my HF-1's it sounds noticably better than my Zen Micro both unamped and amped via lineout/HeadAmp AE-1.

Dec 27, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Your computer has Firewire but only supports USB 1.0??? That's strange.

For several years every Mac computer had Firewire and USB 1.0, for example. It's not that uncommon.

Sorry I can't help here as I don't own a Video iPod. Not until they have more storage space. Good luck with yours. Cheers.

Dec 27, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
For several years every Mac computer had Firewire and USB 1.0, for example. It's not that uncommon

He said "PC". I assumed that to mean an Intel/AMD-based Windows machine, in which case Firewire without USB 2.0 would be unusual.

Dec 27, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

He said "PC". I assumed that to mean an Intel/AMD-based Windows machine, in which case Firewire without USB 2.0 would be unusual.

maybe he added in a firewire card. I'm still on usb 1.1, haven't gotten a usb 2.0 card yet.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 17
Funny how this whole thread now revolves around my having FireWire on my PC (yes, PC) and not anything better than USB 1.0 (yes, no USB 2.0!) For the record, my computer is a bit old and it didn't have a USB 2.0 card when I bought it and when I recieved my iPod I added a FireWire card since 2G can only transfer/charge through FireWire.

Anyone have an actual opinion on the iPod debate?

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 17
Here's my honest opinion - keep your iPod until it dies. Hold out until it literally poots. Then get the newest ipod out there - you might be on the 7th gen by then! No need to upgrade until the old one dies.

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPi
Funny how this whole thread now revolves around my having FireWire on my PC (yes, PC) and not anything better than USB 1.0 (yes, no USB 2.0!)

Yeah, sorry for my part in that.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPi
Anyone have an actual opinion on the iPod debate?

I related my opinion of the 5G above. My first impressions in a head-to-head comparison with my Zen Micro 5GB? The iPod 5G definitely comes out on top for sound quality and ease-of-use. It's a sweet little device. It doesn't have the voice recorder or FM radio functions of the Micro but I never used them anyway. The 5G sounds fantastic with my Ety ER6i and HF-1 both via headphone output and lineout amped with my AE-1.

If I were in your position and could afford the expenditure I'd take the plunge, along with a USB 2.0 card of course.
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Yeah, sorry for my part in that.
evil_smiley.gif

I related my opinion of the 5G above. My first impressions in a head-to-head comparison with my Zen Micro 5GB? The iPod 5G definitely comes out on top for sound quality and ease-of-use. It's a sweet little device. It doesn't have the voice recorder or FM radio functions of the Micro but I never used them anyway. The 5G sounds fantastic with my Ety ER6i and HF-1 both via headphone output and lineout amped with my AE-1.

If I were in your position and could afford the expenditure I'd take the plunge, along with a USB 2.0 card of course.
biggrin.gif

can you tell the ipod 5g is a step better then the 4g soundwise ?

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Here's my honest opinion - keep your iPod until it dies. Hold out until it literally poots. Then get the newest ipod out there - you might be on the 7th gen by then! No need to upgrade until the old one dies.

I agree with this completely. Most Ipod batteries only last 2-4 years depending on charging/use/etc so it shouldn't be too long before yours goes out.. Meanwhile you can stash away 20 bucks here and there and by the time yours does die you'll have a nice little pot to pay for a new one.

JD

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
can you tell the ipod 5g is a step better then the 4g soundwise ?

This is the first iPod I've ever owned, so the answer to your question is "no".
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
I agree with this completely. Most Ipod batteries only last 2-4 years depending on charging/use/etc so it shouldn't be too long before yours goes out.. Meanwhile you can stash away 20 bucks here and there and by the time yours does die you'll have a nice little pot to pay for a new one.

No no no! This philosophy goes against everything that Head-Fi stands for!

eggosmile.gif

Buy it now, when you don't have the money and you don't really need it. You KNOW you WANT it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

i also agree with jahn's statement, there is no use upgrading until your current player either dies or cannot hold enough
when it does die however you may want to look at some of the other players on the market, what i mean by this is not to bash the ipod but there might be another player on the market that suits your needs better than an ipod

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 17
We've a 5G and a 4G in the house at the moment (visitors) and I'm hearing a big improvement with the 5G. I reckon a Zen micro sounds better than the 5G though.Maybe its just a different sonic "colour" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back