New in town, IEM recommendation
May 10, 2017 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

idaveit

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I am on a quest to find a good pair of IEM and came across this forum. Hopefully someone'll be able to help.

I am the happy owner of a pair of Logitech Ultimate Ears UE400vi which I use with Comply Foam tips. I have had them for a number of years, but in the last few months I started looking for a step-up in quality. More recently, having recently switched to Android, I also have the requirement for an Android-compatible remote.

I tried all of the following:
- SoundMAGIC E80C
- Sennheiser CX 5.00G
- Sennheiser M2
- JBL Reflect Aware
- AKG EO-IG955 (Samsung S8 earphones)

Trouble is: all of these, all of them, sound incredibly bassy compared to the UE400vi. Basses are thumping and feel like they are shaking my ear drums all the time.

A colleague has suggested I try finding a pair of flat response headphones, BUT... Before I venture on to more expensive options and/or spend more money, I am starting to have the suspicion that something else may be at play.

How come all these heaphones sound so bassy? How come even the E80C is too bassy for me, when it is advertised as very flat?

Any good recommendation on a very flat pair of headphones that are sub-$250? Willing to compromise on Android compatibility if the pair is really worth it.

Thank you all!

May 14, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Hello all.

I am on a quest to find a good pair of IEM and came across this forum. Hopefully someone'll be able to help.

I am the happy owner of a pair of Logitech Ultimate Ears UE400vi which I use with Comply Foam tips. I have had them for a number of years, but in the last few months I started looking for a step-up in quality. More recently, having recently switched to Android, I also have the requirement for an Android-compatible remote.

- SoundMAGIC E80C
- Sennheiser CX 5.00G
- Sennheiser M2
- JBL Reflect Aware

Trouble is: all of these, all of them, sound incredibly bassy compared to the UE400vi. Basses are thumping and feel like they are shaking my ear drums all the time.

A colleague has suggested I try finding a pair of flat response headphones, BUT... Before I venture on to more expensive options and/or spend more money, I am starting to have the suspicion that something else may be at play.

How come all these heaphones sound so bassy? How come even the E80C is too bassy for me, when it is advertised as very flat?

Any good recommendation on a very flat pair of headphones that are sub-$250? Willing to compromise on Android compatibility if the pair is really worth it.

Thank you all!
Go for the 1more Quad Core driver. I've tried it myself. I love the soundstage. Very good treble and clarity, it was as though live music was hitting your ears. I'm a basshead, the bass on them are not too overwhelming, they're just tight. The QD consist of 3 BAs and 1DD. You'll get blown away.

May 15, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 7
Mee Audio M6 pro for a neutral IEM, although your budget stretches to the likes of the Shure SE425 which are brilliant. If you can add a little to the budget the Oriveti New Primacy and very nicely balanced IEM's with very good wearing comfort too.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 7
- SoundMAGIC E80C
- Sennheiser CX 5.00G
- Sennheiser M2
- JBL Reflect Aware

I don't know why but the last one is not bassy at all. I listen to them with stock eartips, with Poweramp and EQ turned off, only Samsung Adapt Sound apllied. I can say that with some tracks they sound too bright, crispy, they produce rarely "sand" in the highs

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Hello all.

- SoundMAGIC E80C
- Sennheiser CX 5.00G
- Sennheiser M2
- JBL Reflect Aware

Thank you all!

You might want to check the output impedance of your source, if you can find specs, vs. the impedance of the IEMs you're trying. One thing that can happen if the output impedance of the source is too high is that the mid-bass will become more bloated. (however, that is by no means always what happens with impedance mismatch, it depends on the configuration of the headphone)

You might also want to check and make sure that you don't have any weird settings enabled on your device that might be throwing off the sound. And/or try comparing to a different source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back