New In Ear Monitor (IEM) HIFIMAN RE 252. Preliminary Impressions
Oct 26, 2009 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rodaballo

100+ Head-Fier
I have been able to test the new IEMs HiFiMan RE 252 from Head-Direct.

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1147-1.jpg

The first impression was that the separation of instruments was great. The scenario, at least to my ears, is as wide as that of UM3X.

IMG_1149.jpg

Using them directly from the an IPod 5.5 audio jack they have less bass than the UM3X. This does not men that they do not have bass but that they have less pronounced bass.

But, guess what?

When you use them coupled with a humble Fiio E5 things change ... a lot.

The you have more bass, well defined.

I have been comparing this Hifiman RE 252 with the UM3x and the Westone 3 and the conclussion is that they are different but better? I would not be able to make a clear decission.

These IEMS are very fast.

They are very sensitive so you detect the quality of the recording.

I have only used them with the tips that appear on the pictures.

They are extremely, for me, comfortable. The cable does not have to go over the ears.

The little prolongation that can be seen in the pictures gets inserted in thecrest of youu inner ear and makes that the IEM stays in place.

IMG_1140.jpg

The structure of the IEM that surrounds the shell were the driver(s) is flexible and/or gummy so you do not feel it on your ear.

The isolation is very good.

It comes with some filters and varios tips and an extension cable

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

I have tested them with an IPhone 3G, Ipod 5,5 60Gb and several recordings of Gardiner, Avishai Cohen, Anna Ternheim, Savall, Bill Fisell

I do not anything on price on when will they be available or how much they will cost

Regards

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 11
Thats a pretty hefty claim to say these are on par with the W3 and the UM3X. Great that you enjoyed them anyway.

Also, would the FiiO E5 mangle the bass? I had the impression it was a cheap bass booster that didn't do any favors for the quality of the bass.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 11
Let me try to answer the different questions.

Some people like more bass than others.

I like the bass just right.

These IEMs have the right bass for me.

When I used the Fiio E5 they had more bass.

I have also used other amplifiers such as a Diablo (that works) and a Minibox E+ and both also improved the sound of the RE252, the W3 and the UM3X.

If you ask me which would I choose: I will answer, depends.

Do you want bass? W3.

Do you want a relaxed and detailed listening with some bass (less than the W3): UM3X

Do you a detailed listening with less bass than the UM3X: RE 252.

I prefer the IEMs that do not need to be weared over the ears, but hey this may be just me.

And for my ears (my ears) these RE252 are more comfortable than the others (that are also comfortable but a lit bit less). This may work differently on other ears.

I have some experience in this IEMS-earbuds thing.

These is what I have had so far

Shure e500
Triple Fi 10 Pro
SAE6
Ety 4 P/S
qJays
PK1
OK1
OK2
RE1
RE0

May be I am forgetting something...

The RE0 has a more cold sound to my ears than the HiFiMan but this cocul change with the amp, the source and the tips...

What I am keeping at the moment are

PK1, OK1, OK2, Westone 3, UM3X, Re252 and RE0.

Best regards

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 11
I already see myself sawing that silly metal hook right off. That does NOT look comfortable, more callus-inducing.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already see myself sawing that silly metal hook right off. That does NOT look comfortable, more callus-inducing.

No!!! The hook is not metal!!

The whole external shell is chewy, smooth. It is not rigid but it is not an sponge. I do not know the exact word in english. Sorry.

May be it is like silicone but stays with the same shape but without rigidity.

It is not hard at all.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back