New iMac and Swan M50w's. Do I need a DAC and if so is Dragonfly a good option?
Jun 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HemiSam

1000+ Head-Fier
Recently replaced the wife's Windows XP machine with a new iMac.  Ordered the Swan M50W's for 2.1 sound and they should be here next week.  The computer is in a small office next to the kitchen so I wanted a system with a small footprint that would work for both nearby listening and with a bit more power to pipe music while I'm cooking, etc...

The Swan is a powered system so I'm assuming I don't need an amp.  Would an external DAC like a Dragonfly or ODAC improve the sound or should I leave well enough alone?  320kbps tunes are as good as I have thus far (previously MOG now Beats Music streaming via wifi), but I'm really enjoying the forum and I may shift more towards lossless tunes (the AudioTechnica ATH M50X's have been awesome so far!!!).

Thanks for any advice you can offer.  I've been reading a lot, but still very much a rookie.

Sam

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 4
I've had the dragonfly with my iMac and liked it, but I like a separate headphone jack. I just got the Schiit magni/modi combo and it is very good for the price. You can use splitters for powered speakers. I think the DAC helps a lot, but my iMac is a few years old now.

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 4
  I've had the dragonfly with my iMac and liked it, but I like a separate headphone jack. I just got the Schiit magni/modi combo and it is very good for the price. You can use splitters for powered speakers. I think the DAC helps a lot, but my iMac is a few years old now.

Thank you for the response, bdawg. 

I searched in the forum and didn't find anything all that useful.  I later did a search via google and came upon this thread.  Useful info and differing views.  Perhaps your model of Mac will be included in the specs referenced. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640264/imac-onboard-dac-vs-external

All I can offer personally is that I used my ath-M50x cans directly into the headphones port of the Mac and the sound was enjoyable on a variety of music.  The only time I got hiss or interference was when I was downloading pictures from my iPhone onto the Mac...it got pretty ugly on songs I was streaming from Beats Music (320k bps via wifi supposedly).  The songs would literally jump.  Otherwise the cans sounded good to my ear...no discernible interference, noise, etc...  I then added a Fiio3 amp that came with my headphones (same price as the cans without it on Amazon).  I didn't hear a lot of benefit unless I used the EQ settings and then I picked up some exaggerated bass and warmth on the EQ1 setting.  The EQ2 setting seems to be to my taste...warm with a bit more bass (the add'l bass wasn't necessary but I do like the overall sound which reminds me of listening to vinyl back in the day...warmer but not as clean/clinical).  At first blush I didn't like EQ2, but shortly thereafter I concluded it's a nice, friendly sound to my ears.

I have looked at the Schiit equipment and it looks sweet.  I don't need the amp for the powered Swan speakers, but their DAC's have caught my attention.  What I like about something like the dragonfly is I can use it on the iMac or unplug it and use it on my Mac Air without much work.  Simple connections as well.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back