new im716s
Apr 12, 2008 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TheRealBigMeat

New Head-Fier
so after reading all the great things about the im716s i found a decent deal for some on ebay and just went for it. i find myself very dissapointed. i first thought that i was unable to get a good seal, so i tried both tips and i have pretty decent isolation so im unsure if this is the problem. The only other in ear phones i am comparing to are some 20 dollar panasonic ones, and the im716s sound a little clearer, but at the same time far off in the distance a little, and also lack so much bass that i cant stand it. any ideas?

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 18
Either the seal is not perfect still or you have just discovered, like myself, that you are not a fan of the Etymotic sound signature - which is very clinical, very lean bass (no bass "impact") and IMO a bit harsh.

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 18
its just so weird, i mean, i cannot get my 20 dollar headphones that i found on the ground to sound this bass lacking. do you think burn in could help? what about different ear tips, seeing as the christmas tree ones that came with the phones are not comfortable, and the foam ones wont go far into my ear. any more reccomendations?

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 18
The burn-in will help a little, but not enough to what I think you want. From personal experience, I would tell you to listen to them for an hour or two tonight, burn them in overnight, and see how they sound tomorrow. You will hear a difference, even if most of it is in your head.

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 18
im716s are not an everyday phone, in my view, because they NEED an amp (in HD mode with bass boost and a PtoS switch). Others here disagree, but when hooked up to a MiniboxE+, awesome, when plugged straight into any of my four DAPs, just not the same. There are plenty of warnings about using the 716s as HP out portable phones. Better off with the im616s in my view, if not using an amp.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 18
well, seeing as i am stuck with them, do you have any ideas for new comfortable tips that will fit on the im716s? i have had luck with the soft silicon tips is what i think they are called. the foam ones seemed like they would fall out of my ears at any minute. thanks for all the replies and advice so far.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealBigMeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, seeing as i am stuck with them, do you have any ideas for new comfortable tips that will fit on the im716s? i have had luck with the soft silicon tips is what i think they are called. the foam ones seemed like they would fall out of my ears at any minute. thanks for all the replies and advice so far.

I use Comply shorts with the 716s, and they feel fine. You don't have to shove them in too far, though. If you have decent sized ear canals, the Comply standards also work well for me. Oddly enough, I am using the flanges that came with my Sleek SA6s with the 716s, which I use sitting around the house with my amp.

If you use the foamies (the black ones that came with the 716s) you need to roll them in your thumb and forefinger very small, insert them to the right depth, and they wait for the foam to expand. They should be snug, because they are pretty big foamies. You can't just shove them in, or they will feel like they are falling out.

I didn't mean to be negative, but I just can't get enough volume out of the 716s without an amp. The best I can do is with my Sony DAP, turned to almost full bore. But even then, not even all that loud (and I don't risk my hearing). That's why I mentioned the amp. You could read the DIY thread and take the pod off and replace with 47ohm resistors, but that's way beyond my skills. Moon Audio will do the "podectomy" for $45 shipped.

Good luck with the sleeves.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 18
just to set the record straight...

Moon Audio does the "podectomy" for the IM716 for $85 shipped.

I just got this information from Drew a couple days ago via email.

Regarding the Comply foam tips...I also use these as a great solution to get a comfortable seal. For me, the larger tips work...
To verify you have a proper seal, rub your fingers together near your ears, if you hear nothing, then you've got 'em in right.
It's worth making the effort, because once you do finally achieve that seal, you'll hear what others have been raving about...

I would recommend ordering the trial pack ($12) to find the fit that's best for you.

Here's a link:

Comply Foam Tips Peach Trial Pack (1 Pair Standard, 1 Pair Short, & 1 Pair Slim--No Returns Please) - Comply® Foam Tips For Type A Isolation Earphones

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 18
Well, that's pretty funny, because I have the email from Drew quoting $45 for the podectomy, including shipping (and his mailing address in the email). I will PM it to you. Better yet, PM me your email address and I will be glad to forward the original to you. So your "record" and mine are quite different. I didn't pull that number out of thin air, believe me.

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 18
that cost has clearly changed in recent days:

Here's the text from my response by Drew:

Quote:

No info on the site. We remove the pod, nothing special. Cable remains same length unless desired to be shortened and reterminated. Retermination is extra. $85 Shipped.

Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:28 PM
To: Drew <drubrew@earthlink.net>
Subject: IM716 recabling (podectomy)

Hello,
I saw on the head fi forum where you will remove the pod on the IM716 and add a resistor in the signal path for $45 shipped.
I didn't find any information on your site about this. Can you tell me more, and is the cost correct? I might send 2 sets, would there be a slight discount for this?

- Hugh

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SFbayArch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that cost has clearly changed in recent days:

Here's the text from my response by Drew:

And here is mine, which I expect Drew will honor, since it's only been a week (this came April 6). I had inquired awhile ago, so maybe he is honoring that original price. $85 is pretty steep. considering the cost of the resistors. Maybe they saw some Head-Fiers got them for $20.

I am guessing his price quote is for two 716s, which you mentioned. No way he nearly doubles the price. You asked for a discount for two, and he gave you $5 off, in my opinion.

His response is below:

We are a bit slammed right now so it will be a couple of weeks. Yes $45 shipped. Send away.

Thank You.

Drew Baird, P.E.

Moon Audio

308 Chrismill Lane

Holly Springs, NC 27540

919-649-5018

moon-audio@earthlink.net

Moon Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back