New iems under $80 AU? fxd80 or something else?
Jan 22, 2014 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BdTigerZ

New Head-Fier
Hey audiophile's I was in need of help choosing a iem I am no audiophile and judge most items wrongly by bass and clarity.. So I did some searching including clieos list tai's list and a few more and have narrowed it down to a few items..all from eBay. If you help he decide which will be better for me it will be great :)

I'm after good clarity in voices not grainy, balanced, good separation and a punchy clean bass not too overpowering..i listen to typical day music ranging from rnb to house to vocal indian songs lol...also the iem has to be pretty durable as my previous iems have either failed due to poor cable clinch or just failing no sound..

Sorry for writing an essay. If you could add an iem in my needs (under $80Au from ebay) that I'm missing It will be really appreciated.

Here's my narrowed iems:

JVC ha fxd80
Mh1c
Audio technical ckm500
Xiaomi piston 2
Dunu landmine

Quadbeats?
Vsonics?
Ue600?(poor experience with 200s)
Am90s/am800s?

Volume conrol for android will be even better, I'm personally leaning for fxd80s and pistons.

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 15
I'm going to venture away from your path and go completely wild. There is an earphone, a very popular one, a classic if you will we found in stock in Australia recently called Hifiman RE0, the price was $40 (which was an absolute steal), though due to Headphonics.com in Australia catching onto us buying so many, they have since put the price up to $69, still within your budget. I want you to have a read and do some searching on the RE0. it offers what you're looking for, great clarity, detail and separation., metal housings As mentioned it was (and is) a classic on Head-fi.

Here's the thread to read  about RE0:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/383355/review-head-direct-re0-a-new-contender-for-the-best-iem

And the link to purchase if you become interested:
http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=413

Apart from that, the Pistons are grabbing some nice attention and JVC FXD80 was popular.

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 15
I don't know if I am ready to take such a plunge..sorry..really confused about which one is better than which from my narrowed list..if you could share you're experiences with any of the iems ive mentioned if would be helpful.

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 15
I don't know if I am ready to take such a plunge..sorry..really confused about which one is better than which from my narrowed list..if you could share you're experiences with any of the iems ive mentioned if would be helpful.

I understand, maybe I went a little to wild for your first times here. 
smile.gif

JVC HA FXZ80 was rather popular, I would probably take those personally.

Why don't you ask your question in the discovery thread, tell them your budget, they're pretty handy at finding the hidden gems, if not just ask their opinion on FXZ80. Be careful though, some who enter this thread never leave. It's like the gateway to portable audio addiction.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-zero-audio-doppios-pg1197-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724

Goodluck!

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 15
If you could hit up a Yamaha EPH-100 for around $100 that would suit your needs
$80 is pretty much standard going price for a used pair

H20's suggestion about the RE0 is nice, but since you value bass alot, they might not blow you away in those regards (vocals are outstanding though)

Too many fake pistons on ebay, be careful! 

FXD80's might be a good option, have not heard though. Lachlan (a_recording) seems to like them alot, so they are probably great earphones

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #7 of 15
If you could hit up a Yamaha EPH-100 for around $100 that would suit your needs
$80 is pretty much standard going price for a used pair

H20's suggestion about the RE0 is nice, but since you value bass alot, they might not blow you away in those regards (vocals are outstanding though)

Too many fake pistons on ebay, be careful! 

FXD80's might be a good option, have not heard though. Lachlan (a_recording) seems to like them alot, so they are probably great earphones

Ssh, I was trying to turn him into an audiophile...

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 15
Haha thanks for the responses guys. I've come upon real positive experiences and rave from audiophiles in head fi on the eph100 in my time of searching and narrowing but its $130+ on eBay..and as for the pistons I asked tai and he linked me to the original pair. Im still searching on the discovery thread and I'll ask there and see if I get a response. I'll definitely keep the REO in my shortlist for sure. Maybe in the future as I want to try different earphones out for some reason..maybe I've already fallen victim to another spell lol.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 15
Hey, BdTigerZ
Considering you're not an audiophile and judge by bass and clarity, I think that you will definitely like the FXD80, but you might love the RE0.

The FXD80 is a great iem with a refined yet approachable sound. 
The RE0 is a gem of the past. It might just 'suck you up' into a whole new world.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 15
@BdTigerZ 

I don't think you should go for any ba iem.
One of the characteristics of a dynamic driver is that its typically not too detailed/revealing (when compared to a BA), and is usually a lot bassier. This 'commercial' sound is an advantage as it works well on badly recorded tracks. I am pointing this out as most of indian music or bollywood music is badly recorded. And for most movie albums, there isn't even a flac download available. You're stuck with 320kbps, or occasionally even with 128kbps (if you're looking at any pre-2005 bollywood music). Are you sure you want a revealing iem? Dynamic drivers are typically more forgiving.

Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back