New IEMs: Shure SE 425 or UE TF10?
Jan 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fL.

Head-Fier
As the title suggests, I am currently looking for a new set of IEMs and so far I have narrowed it down to these 2 pairs.
I have only owned one pair of upper quality IEM so far, which were the Monster Turbines and they recently broke.
I liked them a lot so I am hoping that I'll be even more pleased with a more quality IEM.

My budget is aounrd 300$. I mainly listen to HipHop and RnB but I also listen to some acoustic since I play guitar.
My source would be an iPhone (if i'm on the go) or an ASUS Xonar D2X soundcard.

I was wondering if the 3-way design of the TF10 is better than the 2-way design of the SE425 (soundwise of course).
I know these might not be the best IEM if you want a lot of bass (like the turbines) but I would be willing to sacrifice some quantity for quality. :)

Any other suggestions of IEMs are appreciated.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 6
TF10 is technically a little bit better and it´s cheaper but a lot of people have fit issues and the durability is not very good. But both iems are complete different from the turbines. 

1. Shure 425: very neutral! (but too less bass because you owned the turbines)

2. TF10: v-shaped sound sig. (only deep bass)

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 6
I have not heard the se425's but used to own the se420's.  My TF10's are much, much better than those se420's.  The only thing the 420's did better were the mids and they were really comfortable.  The 420's were definitely bass light.

The TF10's have excellent treble.  It has sparkle without becoming fatiguing.  The bass extension is really good and punchy but could use a little more body for my tastes.  I only find the mids to be slightly recessed and have no problems achieving a good fit.  Just remember they are a shallow fit and don't kill yourself trying shove them in your ears.  My biggest complaint is the stiff cable.  At least you can replace it.

The TF10's are not perfect but they are a very fun and engaging IEM.

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Tf10 will be much more suited to your music tastes than the bass light & treble light se420 ,i have had both and still have the tf10 which is a very good iem 

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 6
thanks for the feedback!
so I guess the se 425 won't be on my list then since they seem to sound very neutral (not that much fun) and are more focused on the mids.

I did some more googling and i've read a lot of reviews and noticed that quite a lot of people seem to have fit issues with the TF10's due to their shape and size.

So, I'm thinking of maybe saving up some more money and just get the SE535. Since they have dual drivers for the low frequencies, the bass should be quite a bit better than the 425's right?

And also, what do you guys think about the Monster Turbine Pro's? I had the chance to listen to the Copper's a while back and I wasn't "that" surprised. They sounded more neutral and less bass heavy than the turbines but the turbines just sounded more fun to me. Haven't had a chance to listen to the Gold's though.. but they are supposed to be more bass heavy right?

It's not all about bass but to me it is important. I don't need tons of bass, but I want to be able to hear a decent amount of it and it should also be clear/detailed.
The bass on the turbines is almost too much and I would also like a bit more detail to it.

Highs/mids on the shure's should as far as I've heard/read be one of the best. Don't know about the Monster Turbine Pro's though. Unfortunately I won't be able to test any of them so I'll have to rely on reviews and opinions of others.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Oh and also, what about the Westone 3's? Just curious. They seem to sound pretty good but I read that the SE535 sound better than those. Only the lows on the Westones are a bit better.
Also, the build quality on the Westone 3's seem to be not very good. Cables isn't replaceable and seems to be very thin.
Same thing with the Monster Turbine pro's. Even though the cable is fairly thick and of good quality it ain't replaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back