New IEM's (Max £50 $85) Wondering what to get.
Oct 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Technex

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Hope you're all having a great day, I just wanted to ask a question which has been on my mind for a while...

There are so many IEM's out there so I need your help... I've owned some JVC marshmallows (HA-FX33) for a long time, paired with my Samsung P3 DAP but they broke the other day for what seems like no reason, always looked after them but I guess while the lead exits my pocket in use they get squashed/pulled sometimes. The sound went on one side.

Anyway, I would like to upgrade a little too while replacing these, I am after a very good in-ear seal and the best soundstage in this price bracket. I like bass too, but I don't like it to overpower every other area.

As these will be used outside all the time I didn't want to spend too much incase they get damaged as I'm a little short on cash currently.

My price limit is around 50 pounds which is about 85 dollars.

I listen to trance mostly but also Melodeath metal if it matters at all.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Regards,

Laurence

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 12
Maximo Im-590s are pretty good all-arounders and they are built quite well. They work great for metal; trance will probably be fine too.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 12
Order in some meelectronics M6's from the states, go on meelecs website and contact them regarding shipping to the UK.
Got mine yesterday and I've been suitably impressed, comfort is great, bass is deep and full whilst staying out of the way of the mids, I find the mids slightly recessed on some tracks but ok, and the highs are very clean and unfatiguing. Sure they're not the best thing since sliced bread but I can confidently say as an overall package they are the most favourite dynamic IEM's I've owned so far.

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 12
They look nice too Timmy, and thank you Joker for your suggestion, those Maximos look really nice after looking into them.

Any more suggestions guys?

Thank you once again!

If there is any more info that you need please let me know and I'll get back straight away.

Laurence

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 12
Hmmmmmmm, seems the Maximos are impossible to find in the UK, that's ashame because I was probably going to get them.

I've been on Meelec's website and there are a few to choose from, the M6, M11, AI-M6 and R1 are all the same price, but I don't know which one I should go for.

They all have slightly different specs and driver sizes.

The M6 and AI-M6 are available in the UK, and I guess I could find the others too.

They all look ideal but I don't know...

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmmmmm, seems the Maximos are impossible to find in the UK, that's ashame because I was probably going to get them.

I've been on Meelec's website and there are a few to choose from, the M6, M11, AI-M6 and R1 are all the same price, but I don't know which one I should go for.

They all have slightly different specs and driver sizes.

The M6 and AI-M6 are available in the UK, and I guess I could find the others too.

They all look ideal but I don't know...

Regarding the Maximos, I remember Andrew of Maximo Products saying something about a UK distributor being available soon. You might want to pm him and ask.

As for the Meelecs, the Ai-M6 and M6 are the same thing AFAIK. You definitely want somee with the new (clear) cable rather than the old (black) one.

The M6, M11, and R1 are all different. I only got my hands on the R1 yesterday, but my initial impressions were that it sounds a little warmer and darker than the M11. The M11 is good amount smaller and thus a bit more comfortable. The M6 is the clear winner when it comes to soundstage, though, and with the new cable and over-the-ear design it should have the least microphonics as well.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks joker for the great reply, I need them rather soonish so I still think I would prefer ordering from the UK.

Thanks again for the description, in that case it sounds like the new M6 would suit me perfect (soundstage, microphonics and wire)...... Also the new wire and clear case look amazing.

I'll take another look tomorrow at all my choices.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #9 of 12
wait wait wait!
I had another listen to my S2/X1's today after finally weaning myself of the mid-forward 530's and I'm rather taken aback, I initially put them aside thinking meh they are ok but nothing special but that was straight after 2 hours with the 530's. I spent all day yesterday with my meelecs on and by the end of the day was loving the sound but put my S2's in this morning and I'm even more impressed..bass doesn't extend too much and doesn't pack a heft but is lovely and textured, mids loose some detail over the m6's but are much fuller and richer, and the treble whilst slightly more rolled off for me is just at the sweet spot between harsh and boring.
And..wait for it:
Klipsch Image X1 Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

£24.99 with free delivery
smily_headphones1.gif
I paid £19.99 but even still at £24.99 I think this has to be a stunning deal. The X1 and the S2 are the same thing btw, amazon just have different packaging

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 12
Hey guys, I've decided on the Clear M6's from MEElectronics.

Good reviews (Isolation, sound quality etc), great style, great wires and a good set of accessories to boot.

The customer support is also excellent, ordering from all shops in the USA should be this nice.

MEElectronics M6 Stylish Sound-Isolating Sports Earphones (Clear)

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #12 of 12
good choice but really after A/B'ing both phones I prefer the X1/S2's to the M6's, isolation and comfort is great, infact isolation is much better than the M6's, and the sound is amazing considering the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back