New IEM
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

twiceasnice

New Head-Fier
So Ive been a long time lurker here and I hate starting one of these threads, but I really dont know which new IEM to choose.

Im looking to step up into the hifi music world for the first time and I want a good sounding IEM in the $250-$500 range. Price point doesnt matter in regards to this range, I just want a really good sounding IEM in this range. The best pair Ive owned are klipsch s4 for what its worth so Im sure the pair I go with will be a significant improvement.

I know a lot of times the answer to these topics is subjective and it depends on the source and music files etc. Ill be using tidal hifi for my music listening and Im looking to purchase the new hidiz ap200 if that matters.

I like a variety of music: rap/hip hop, country, 80s, 90s, classic rock, pop, alternative. I like bass to my music.

Ive looked into the following:

Flcs8

Ibasso it03

U4-se 64 audio

Etymotic sr4

Earsonics es3

Any insight on these would be very much appreciated. Suggestions on other/better options is very much welcomed. I apologize for the lengthy post.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 5
So Ive been a long time lurker here and I hate starting one of these threads, but I really dont know which new IEM to choose.

Im looking to step up into the hifi music world for the first time and I want a good sounding IEM in the $250-$500 range. Price point doesnt matter in regards to this range, I just want a really good sounding IEM in this range. The best pair Ive owned are klipsch s4 for what its worth so Im sure the pair I go with will be a significant improvement.

I know a lot of times the answer to these topics is subjective and it depends on the source and music files etc. Ill be using tidal hifi for my music listening and Im looking to purchase the new hidiz ap200 if that matters.

I like a variety of music: rap/hip hop, country, 80s, 90s, classic rock, pop, alternative. I like bass to my music.

Ive looked into the following:

Flcs8

Ibasso it03

U4-se 64 audio

Etymotic sr4

Earsonics es3

Any insight on these would be very much appreciated. Suggestions on other/better options is very much welcomed. I apologize for the lengthy post.

I didn't see you make another thread, so I'll post my reply here. I'll suggest an iem that's not on the list: JVC FXZ-200. I own 3 iems.

LMem6ry.jpg

Left to right: JVC FXT-200 LTD, Sony XBA-H3, FXZ-200.

The FXZ-200 is the iem that taught me what to look for if I ever decided to "upgrade" to something down the road. I used to listen to music many years ago with the Zune premium headphones V2. I was listening to a playlist of all of those old songs today, and the result? In every single song, I was hearing things that I couldn't remember hearing years ago. They sound so good that the "upgrade" I buy has to be leaps and bounds ahead of it. I originally "upgraded" to the Sony XBA-H3, but I saw years later that was a mistake. The Sonys have a bigger sound, but not the same clarity, bass, and overall relaxing sound.

The drawback with the FXZ-200 is that the sound takes a long time to completely mature. This pair was purchased last year after I replaced the 2013 pair that my brother broke years ago, after I bought the XBA-H3. The sound kept changing well beyond 200 hrs. I would estimate that it started sounding like the way it does at 400 hrs. Today the sound is wide, detailed, has good depth, layering, and delicious, visceral bass. I've been hooked on them early this morning.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you Blink for the response. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide your insight. I just posted it in the other forum now. I will def check out your recommendation.

I didn't see you make another thread, so I'll post my reply here. I'll suggest an iem that's not on the list: JVC FXZ-200. I own 3 iems.

LMem6ry.jpg

Left to right: JVC FXT-200 LTD, Sony XBA-H3, FXZ-200.

The FXZ-200 is the iem that taught me what to look for if I ever decided to "upgrade" to something down the road. I used to listen to music many years ago with the Zune premium headphones V2. I was listening to a playlist of all of those old songs today, and the result? In every single song, I was hearing things that I couldn't remember hearing years ago. They sound so good that the "upgrade" I buy has to be leaps and bounds ahead of it. I originally "upgraded" to the Sony XBA-H3, but I saw years later that was a mistake. The Sonys have a bigger sound, but not the same clarity, bass, and overall relaxing sound.

The drawback with the FXZ-200 is that the sound takes a long time to completely mature. This pair was purchased last year after I replaced the 2013 pair that my brother broke years ago, after I bought the XBA-H3. The sound kept changing well beyond 200 hrs. I would estimate that it started sounding like the way it does at 400 hrs. Today the sound is wide, detailed, has good depth, layering, and delicious, visceral bass. I've been hooked on them early this morning.
nk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back