New IEM trend: Isobaric DD design. Benefits?
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KinGensai

500+ Head-Fier
I know this design is not a new thing, it's utilized in subwoofers to generate a given amount of bass with two drivers in a smaller form factor than it would take with one. I think the air between the drivers is also supposed to act as a medium to reduce distortion or something, not sure what's exactly going on there.

Is this a big deal in IEMs? Should I jump in on this? I'm eyeing the monarch mk3 or the Blessing 3 to see if this tech is worth the trouble.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 7
From a practical standpoint, a reduction in the form factor of IEMs would likely be the most significant benefit if the use case you mentioned for subwoofers were to apply here as well.

In reality, it's probably just another flavor of the month to keep the audiophile wheel spinning, with marketing teams doing the rest.

Using a single, inexpensive dynamic driver has already proven to be sufficient to achieve good/great frequency response adherence across various targets with extremely low THD levels well bellow human hearing thresholds, even at utterly high SPLs.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 7
From a practical standpoint, a reduction in the form factor of IEMs would likely be the most significant benefit if the use case you mentioned for subwoofers were to apply here as well.

In reality, it's probably just another flavor of the month to keep the audiophile wheel spinning, with marketing teams doing the rest.

Using a single, inexpensive dynamic driver has already proven to be sufficient to achieve good/great frequency response adherence across various targets with extremely low THD levels well bellow human hearing thresholds, even at utterly high SPLs.
I generally prefer IEMs with no DD actually, the longer impulse response DDs exhibit make them sound sloppy in comparison to BA Bass drivers, especially if they are tuned too close to their maximum excursion limit. I suspect that's what Moondrop did with the Variations, the LCP DD struggles when the bass peaks in certain tracks.

What I'm curious about is if this tech pushes the capabilities of DDs out further by reducing the individual workload of each DD, potentially allowing a significant amount of EQ to occur without causing overexcursion of the diaphragm.

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 7
I generally prefer IEMs with no DD actually, the longer impulse response DDs exhibit make them sound sloppy in comparison to BA Bass drivers, especially if they are tuned too close to their maximum excursion limit. I suspect that's what Moondrop did with the Variations, the LCP DD struggles when the bass peaks in certain tracks.
Even Single BA IEM's like the ER4XR can hold up, Since It seems to have no issue mimicking the ER2XR's bass with EQ. I actually loved the ER2XR but the DD sounded like It choked when there was heavy bass and It got worse in faster music.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Even Single BA IEM's like the ER4XR can hold up, Since It seems to have no issue mimicking the ER2XR's bass with EQ. I actually loved the ER2XR but the DD sounded like It choked when there was heavy bass and It got worse in faster music.
I'm confused, both of those are single BA designs, just tuned a bit differently. Etymotic doesn't make DD IEMs as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back