New IEM time! Upgrading from Monster Turbine Pro Copper! UE 900 vs Westone 4R vs Shure SE535 vs Anything you have to recommend
Mar 16, 2014 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LulzSec

Head-Fier
I've had my Monster Turbine Pro Copper's for a little more than 2 years, and i'm looking for something new, and better.

First off, is it worth upgrading to something within the price ranges of UE 900 and Westone 4R?

Of the listed in the title, which one do you think would be the best? Are there better than what i included?

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 6
I had a set of Monster Turbine Coppers and Golds and really dug them providing a good set of tips to get that slamming bass these things do so well. I've found that dynamic driver IEMs are more dynamic and generally aggressive and match the music I like which is rock, metal, electronic. The do pretty well with vocal, orchestral and genres like jazz. 

I currently own the Yamaha EPH100, Senn IE80, TripleFi10 and Shure 535LTDs. Balanced Armature provides more detail and separation, it's 50/50 for soundstage and really depends on the IEM. I've never heard the UE900 but the 4Rs , to my memory, are less weighty and more neutral than the Shure 535s. To me the 535s are more enjoyable to listen to and the LTD version supposedly gives more airy highs than the standard 535. The TripleFi 10s are a pretty fun IEM, offer a somewhat V shaped sound which lends itself to aggressive music types and can be had for relatively cheap... the fit is pretty bad though. Its all about preference here, some people love the Westone 4R, I find them a bit soft and boring. 

I will tell you that you may be disappointed in the upgrade. When you hit the pricepoint of the Monster Coppers you get into different flavors but might not necessarily find the IEMs you mentioned to be better. You may get some clarity and separation at the sacrifice of bass and cohesiveness of sound.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 6
  I had a set of Monster Turbine Coppers and Golds and really dug them providing a good set of tips to get that slamming bass these things do so well. I've found that dynamic driver IEMs are more dynamic and generally aggressive and match the music I like which is rock, metal, electronic. The do pretty well with vocal, orchestral and genres like jazz. 

I currently own the Yamaha EPH100, Senn IE80, TripleFi10 and Shure 535LTDs. Balanced Armature provides more detail and separation, it's 50/50 for soundstage and really depends on the IEM. I've never heard the UE900 but the 4Rs , to my memory, are less weighty and more neutral than the Shure 535s. To me the 535s are more enjoyable to listen to and the LTD version supposedly gives more airy highs than the standard 535. The TripleFi 10s are a pretty fun IEM, offer a somewhat V shaped sound which lends itself to aggressive music types and can be had for relatively cheap... the fit is pretty bad though. Its all about preference here, some people love the Westone 4R, I find them a bit soft and boring. 

I will tell you that you may be disappointed in the upgrade. When you hit the pricepoint of the Monster Coppers you get into different flavors but might not necessarily find the IEMs you mentioned to be better. You may get some clarity and separation at the sacrifice of bass and cohesiveness of sound.

This is exactly what I was worried and wondering about.
I think at this point i'm too used to the sound signature on the MTPC's and my limited experience listening and trying out other balanced armature driver IEM's have not been exactly mind blowing.
My music taste probably calls for me to stay with my MTPC's.

On that note, do you have any recommendations for a pair worthy to replace the MTPC's?

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 6
Looking for something new and better? That's tricky. People seem to really like the Vsonic GR07s although I've never heard them. I quite like my Yamaha EPH100s ; they're a bit leaner and more aggressive but more of a side-grade than anything. I haven't owned a ton of IEMs so I probably won't be that helpful.

I just recently got my Shure 535 ltd and , as you mentioned, wasn't overwhelmed. They're similar to my TripleFi 10s that I got for $150 but far more comfortable. The Westones I've heard live in the same realm but are more resolving and more neutral. I really like my Sennheiser IE80s. It's more of a relaxing and enjoyable sound that is much more out of your head than my BA IEMs. Huge bass and just overall really nice. When I want to rock out the yamahas are great.

Jokerl has a huge IEM comparison on here. Check that out. Don't expect to be blown away when comparing to the monsters.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, I think i'll look into correctly fitting the MTPC's with tips, rather than buying a whole new pair of iem's, as I think i've been using really cheap inadequate pairs.
Aside from the fittings, check out the problems i have from the MTPC's after 2 years of use :p 
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/710507/my-monster-turbine-pro-coppers-are-falling-apart-and-are-about-to-die-please-help-strain-relief-and-filters-are-completely-degraded-sos-nsfl-pictures-inside

I think i'll wait this one for a month or so before i make a purchase, reading reviews, who knows.

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm curious to know if you ever replaced your Coppers? If so, what with?

I own a pair of Monster Turbine Coppers and haven't found much else that competes with them.  I also own the Ety ER-4S/P and love the incredible sound isolation they provide (with Comply foam tips) for  long-haul international flights. I've also owned two custom IEMs, but I only use the Etys on a plane.  You'll never get the same isolation with a custom IEM that you will with the Etys + Comply foam.  Your ear canals change shape and size too much over time for any CIEM to provide a consistent, comfortable seal that isolates like Comply foam does. However, long-haul flights are pretty much the only time I use my Etys, as their sound can be a bit dull and boring compared to that of the Monster Turbine Copper's. The Etys have the edge in the upper frequency range, but only by a tiny margin; the Coppers win in the low frequency range by a mile.
I've also previously owned the UE 900s and I doubt you'll think of these as an upgrade from the Coppers.  Their sound is even more "neutral" than the Etys (hardly any bass at all) and they have a disastrous design flaw, with a detachable cable that will intermittently lose contact with the drivers.  Even with DeoxIT contact cleaner, you've permanently got a tenuous electrical connection there. (Why was a rotating connector even necessary?) The other flaw I can't forgive with the UE 900 is the sound.  It's just not that great, IMHO. Despite its four drivers, the sound isn't as good as either the Coppers or the Ety ER-4 and it distorts at medium-to-loud volumes. The UE 900 has much better ergonomics than its predecessor (Triplefi 10), but the UE 900 sound won't wow you like the Triplefi 10's sound might. Compared with your Coppers, the Triplefi 10 has a clearer treble, at the cost of a bit less bass, but I found the Triplefi 10's treble to be too harsh after prolonged use, so I still couldn't say I prefered these over the Coppers.

My recommendation would be to hunt down the tips that best fit you and your Copper Turbines. Try the foam supertips or the old, original, round gel supertips (avoid the newer, cylindrical-shaped gel tips as they don't fit anybody!).  In terms of sound, Sony hybrid tips would be a very close second if you don't have any luck with the supertips.

Please let us know the conclusion to this story!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back