New IEM Choices?
Jan 31, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaizr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a pair of these for my iPhone and the bass is incredibly prominent but at the same manages to keep itself separate from the mids and highs, i.e. no muddiness:

Atomic Floyd - The New State of Sound

There is also a non mic version:

Atomic Floyd - The New State of Sound

I only got these yesterday, and I have to say that I am really impressed with the overall quality. I will put up a review as soon as I can.

So far I have listened to Dr Dre - 2001 and Eagles Of Death Metal - Heart On and I believe that the sound quality is second to none for a pair of £80 phones, you cannot go wrong.

I tried the X10's and had to send them back as I couldn't get a good seal in one ear, but from the ear I could get a seal from, the X10's are not a patch on the Atomic Floyds if bass is your main concern.

Oh and the seal is instant, more so than CX300's. Just plug in and go (these do not go deep in the ear but they are very comfy (my concern before buying was that they would fall out being made of metal/heavy, but you won't even notice that they are in).

I have such a hard time accepting that these might be good, since they look like a mildly improved Skullcandy FMJ, which I own, and while their sound is "ear pleasing" and all frequencies are present (if anything is veiled at all, it might be the mids, but only a little), they are very bassy and not very detailed, and fail with complex music. They also have a very narrow, claustrophobic soundstage.

Could you please write up a nice, in-depth review on the Floyds? Right now I'm testing out the new Jays s-Jays, and so far so good for what they're worth. I wonder how the Floyds would compare, seeing as they're a little more expensive (from what I can see, at least), and use dynamic drivers as opposed to the s-Jays' armature-based siren drivers (which leaves me wondering how quick the Floyds would be).

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disagree? What i'm saying is that the E5 is good, but the Icon Mobile is better.

Not well expressed. I meant the E5 is good enough, and I didn't think the Icon Mobile was amazing, at least not from the HP out (may be amazing when connected to a PC). So my point was I disagreed that the Icon Mobile is amazing when used with the pfe. I think Average_Joe had the same experience. Said the Nuforce Mobile didn't really mesh well with the Phonaks, for whatever reason.

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #19 of 27
Jan 31, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a review of the s-jays over at anythingbutipod.com They aren't to good, and that's being modest. There not good at all. Here's were they stand Comparison of 19 popular IEMs (Spreadsheet) - Headphones - abi>>forums

(PHONAKS IS THE WAY TO GO TRUST ME.)

It depends, actually. That spreadsheet compares IEMs based on performance values that are important mostly to people that want to hear the recording accurately (as opposed to just enjoying the music and leaving it at that), and the sound signature the s-Jays reproduce changes drastically with a decent EQ. The s-Jays are great as a fun, musical IEM for casual on-the-go use. If you're expecting pinpoint accuracy and amazing detail, you will be dissatisfied. They do well for someone who just wants to enjoy their music as a whole, though, and if you have a player with a decent EQ and you like fiddling around with it to suit your preference, the s-Jays are not bad at all. They are quick enough due to the armature-based sirens, and the bass can be tuned down easily with EQ, and the treble can be brought out with EQ as well (the treble will never sparkle like certain other IEMs, but you can make it sound less veiled by bringing it out with EQ). The only thing I can really fault them on is getting really sloppy with complex music. Soundstage is wide, notes are pretty fast, no sibilance as far as I can tell, and they become less fatiguing after you get used to them. There is a good amount of microphonics, but thanks to the extension cable it only goes up to the point of connection. Anything past that, you will not hear.

That spreadsheet even shows the Ety ER6 as being pretty bad for the price, which plenty of people would disagree with. Martin just didn't like them. His ears are not the same as every other person's ears, and the same goes for his preferences. It depends on the person.

But yeah, if you want something accurate and detailed, go for the PFE.

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 27
Remember hearing is one of your senses and very individual just like smell, taste etc. There are people who love s-JAYS and those that don't. There are people that would choose a Porsche and people that won't. Let your own ears decide what is good for you and not a spread sheet and may the best earphones pick your ears and make listening better. The day I create an earphone that every person in the world like, that day I will find my job very boring
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends, actually. That spreadsheet compares IEMs based on performance values that are important mostly to people that want to hear the recording accurately (as opposed to just enjoying the music and leaving it at that), and the sound signature the s-Jays reproduce changes drastically with a decent EQ. The s-Jays are great as a fun, musical IEM for casual on-the-go use. If you're expecting pinpoint accuracy and amazing detail, you will be dissatisfied. They do well for someone who just wants to enjoy their music as a whole, though, and if you have a player with a decent EQ and you like fiddling around with it to suit your preference, the s-Jays are not bad at all. They are quick enough due to the armature-based sirens, and the bass can be tuned down easily with EQ, and the treble can be brought out with EQ as well (the treble will never sparkle like certain other IEMs, but you can make it sound less veiled by bringing it out with EQ). The only thing I can really fault them on is getting really sloppy with complex music. Soundstage is wide, notes are pretty fast, no sibilance as far as I can tell, and they become less fatiguing after you get used to them. There is a good amount of microphonics, but thanks to the extension cable it only goes up to the point of connection. Anything past that, you will not hear.

That spreadsheet even shows the Ety ER6 as being pretty bad for the price, which plenty of people would disagree with. Martin just didn't like them. His ears are not the same as every other person's ears, and the same goes for his preferences. It depends on the person.

But yeah, if you want something accurate and detailed, go for the PFE.

Hmmmm preference maybe I happen to like the Q-jays although I only heard them one time. The S-jays......you can EQ exactly like you said, but the Phonaks would do it without any Eqing...
icon10.gif
If one would want a warm signature then these would be the phones to get. I guess I would like a phone with ultimate clarity, hence the Phonaks come to mind. I guess thats why I got them....
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PetCed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember hearing is one of your senses and very individual just like smell, taste etc. There are people who love s-JAYS and those that don't. There are people that would choose a Porsche and people that won't. Let your own ears decide what is good for you and not a spread sheet and may the best earphones pick your ears and make listening better. The day I create an earphone that every person in the world like, that day I will find my job very boring
wink.gif

That is one of the best posts ever that I have read here in head-fi, and I could not agree more...Also as a side note always while suggesting or recommending something, keep in mind that what you are listening is a reproduction of the real sound, not the real sound itself, so you may found always flaws on it, and things that has been changed to the taste of the artist, producers, and market choice...there is no 100% accurate recording and there is no two recordings alike even made by the same professional...

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PetCed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Agree, but to really let your ears decide, one would need to buy both the Phonaks (14-day money back) AND the S-Jays, and then there is no guesswork.

Also, that spreadsheet is based on someone's hearing (he listened to all those phones), so that certainly qualifies as Martin's expression of what he heard. No? Nothing wrong with using the experience of others as one factor in deciding what to buy. Happens all the time. When I want to see a movie, I read 10 of the most consistent reviewers. if they all agree, a movie sucks, I don't go. If they all love it (or 8-9 out of 10, pass me the popcorn.

Of course it's all up to one's taste, and hearing (though there are other factors, such as fit, comfort, style (over the ear, etc.), microphonics, etc. Nothing to do with hearing.

I have the X10s, and really like their sound. Yet, try walking with them bumping against your winter coat or collar (even with a clip). Fugggedaboutit! You can do it, but beware little noises.

Anyway, your point is fine. But the only way to really decide is buy, try and return. Any numbers of factors, hearing being just one, albeit an important one, will lead to a smart decision.

Having said that, Penguin, if you can afford them, GET THE PHONAKS!

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #25 of 27
It's really up to what he likes. I guess auditioning them head to head would be a good idea. He might actually find the Phonak's amazing detail (considering he may have several poorly recorded tracks) and semi-anemic bass to not be to his liking, and prefer the s-JAYS' more musical presentation. Or he might find the s-JAYS too un-detailed and not like their highs and love the highs and detail of the Phonaks. (Disclaimer: I'm not saying the s-JAYS really lack that much detail, just that the Phonaks appear to reveal that much more from what I've read)

What it really comes down to is preference, and whether you want to listen to a song or dive into a recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back