New IEM, Budget 400$
Dec 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mick85

New Head-Fier
hi guys, im looking for new IEMs, my old rig ue sf5 (4 years old) and samsung p3 went down the toilet literally due to my 3 year old nephew..

ill probably take the new clip+ and a reasonable upgrade from the ue sf5.
my options would be so far, um3x, sf10 tripe fi and se530.

what they should have:

- good isolation
- better comfort than my old ones (sf5), ive read sf10 have here some issues
- no amp required
- problably a bit more bassy
- not so specific due to my music tastes.. (eletronic 50% / pop/rock 20% / jazz 10% / classic 10%)

which ones would you recommend and why, maybe you have some other suggestions?

sorry for my english im not a native speaker

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 21
Ooh, that's kind of crappy. Sure stinks to have your portable rig dumped in the toilet. My guess is you will also be looking for something with a cleaner sound? Or am I drenching this comment with too many nasty remarks?

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 21
I have the SE530's and think they would be a good choice. They are great all-rounders, with above par isolation, a good bass thump while still keeping the highs and a great mid, and are very easy to drive.

EDIT: Plus they are the least expensive of the bunch. I've often seen them here for around $200.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 21
Someone else can answer this, but it's worth asking: with the JH5 retailing at $399, is it still worth looking at universals in this price range?

(except for the $500 Monster Turbine Miles Davis Tribute phones, which are worth every cent.)

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 21
Get the TF10 used here and get them made into customs by fisher audio. Good idea right

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 21
1. IE8s are under $300 and incredible IEMs and blow the SE530s away.
2. UE5EBs are $110 shipped brand new, Fisher custom molds are $80 and Westone cables are $40. For under $250 you could have an awesome set of custom IEMs.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 21
i suspect the IE8 wont offer the isolation he wants,
and the UE Super.fi 5 EB shows why ultimate ears is great with armatures, and NOTHING else,

i would suggest you go for the Westone 3 or the UM3X, depending on the audio signature you like, and pickup some shure olives for it,

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i suspect the IE8 wont offer the isolation he wants,
and the UE Super.fi 5 EB shows why ultimate ears is great with armatures, and NOTHING else,

i would suggest you go for the Westone 3 or the UM3X, depending on the audio signature you like, and pickup some shure olives for it,

Terrible post. You've obviously never heard UE's custom hybrids.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone else can answer this, but it's worth asking: with the JH5 retailing at $399, is it still worth looking at universals in this price range?

(except for the $500 Monster Turbine Miles Davis Tribute phones, which are worth every cent.)

I found the JH5's a little bit less good (if thats a correct expression :-/) than my 530's with custom ACS tips. Bear in mind that was a universal dem model and I suspect a custom JH5 would best the 530's with normal universal tips.

Other than that, I say UM3x

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 21
you should definetly look at dynamic drivers iems like the jvc fx500,ie8,denon c710 if you want deep bass.you can get the ipod touch 2g and the jvcfx500 for a little less than 400$ and i assure you the combo is unbelievable.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should definetly look at dynamic drivers iems like the jvc fx500,ie8,denon c710 if you want deep bass.you can get the ipod touch 2g and the jvcfx500 for a little less than 400$ and i assure you the combo is unbelievable.

Correct. Exactly why I recommended the IE8s or custom-shelled UE5EBs.

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #15 of 21
thanks for all suggestions, customs are not an option yet but thanks for the advice.
ive read some other reviews and critics that made the um3x and um2 my favorites, im still undecided if the um3x extra money its worth it. i know that the um3x have a tighter bass but i think that its gonna be ok, because im using the HD650 at home and im ok with them, if thats even comperable...
is the um2 even an upgrade SQ wise?
here in germany are very few shops who sell westones.. except some relatively cheap ones at ebay. have there been some fakes spotted yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back