New HTC One M8 audio review
Jul 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #572 of 874
  Yes, I think this noise is either caused by the youtube upload, or due to the production.
With this track, the crackling is so obvious on my device (at loud, but not really deafening volume) that it's impossible to overhear.

Now it would be interesting to know why some devices are affected and others aren't, maybe it's region specific.

But I've lost the interest in investigating this, since I decided to rather use my dx50 on the road. 

Certain gears can be more revealing of recording flaws than other gears. Nothing to investigate on :)

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #573 of 874
 Yes, I think this noise is either caused by the youtube upload, or due to the production.
With this track, the crackling is so obvious on my device (at loud, but not really deafening volume) that it's impossible to overhear.

Now it would be interesting to know why some devices are affected and others aren't, maybe it's region specific.

But I've lost the interest in investigating this, since I decided to rather use my dx50 on the road. 

Certain gears can be more revealing of recording flaws than other gears. Nothing to investigate on :)

Again, my device is not revealing recording flaws it's just crackling on amp overload. If your unit is fine, I'm happy for you, but there's a lot of users reporting this problem who might be interested in the cause of it (or a fix for it).

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #574 of 874

Then it might be true that there are really just a lot of defective units (I remember someone in this thread talking about huge variation in sound on different M8s), or you're just lucky because of your setup & music choice. 

Could you checkout this track with some kind of over ear headphones at about 13/15? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dfMM4BRI-o

Starting from about 1:24, no matter what over- or on ear headphones I use, this turns into a crackle-fest on my M8 :)

edit: I'm not saying that this isn't an unusual amount of sub-bass, but none of my other devices from a small clip zip, to DX50 or the headphone out of my Rane DJ-Mixer is playing this with crackling.

no crackle from m8, laptop or gnote3.  1;24 seems like some < 50hz bass hits.  are peeps having problems with low bass or any other particular frequencies?  

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #575 of 874
Just converted my m8 to gpe this afternoon. So far audio is the same. No popping or crackling from headphones. That was only about 5 mins on Poweramp and neutron though. External speakers were blaring but I think it was the videos terrible recording quality. Need to get Xposed going first before I can test some more but so far impressions are good so I am relieved. Will update later on.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #576 of 874
Again, my device is not revealing recording flaws it's just crackling on amp overload. If your unit is fine, I'm happy for you, but there's a lot of users reporting this problem who might be interested in the cause of it (or a fix for it).
what headphones and / or IEMs are you using to come to this conclusion?

Some equipment is either not demanding, or in other cases not resolving enough to pick up on the distortion.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #577 of 874
what headphones and / or IEMs are you using to come to this conclusion?

htc m8 with Westone w40, sennheiser momentum over- + on-ear, hd25-1, soundmagic hp100 = crackling

Dx50, Sansa clip zip, headphone out of dj mixer (with all of the above mentioned gear) as well as active Rokit monitors, and several live PAs = completely free of any crackling

Only IEMs that I've tried that didn't play with crackling on the m8 are Fischer Amps Fa-4e xb, which seem to be rather sensitive.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #578 of 874
htc m8 with Westone w40, sennheiser momentum over- + on-ear, hd25-1, soundmagic hp100 = crackling

Dx50, Sansa clip zip, headphone out of dj mixer (with all of the above mentioned gear) as well as active Rokit monitors, and several live PAs = completely free of any crackling

Only IEMs that I've tried that didn't play with crackling on the m8 are Fischer Amps Fa-4e xb, which seem to be rather sensitive.
Sorry Simma,

Ironically I read your original post incorrectly, reading it that you didn't get distortion :xf_eek:

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #579 of 874
I find it interesting that on my One M8 I don't get any crackling at all (using both Vsonic GR07s and Sennheiser PX100-IIs). However, on the Samsung Galaxy S5 that I had for a few days before returning it, I got a lot of crackling using the same headphones. Both smartphones use the same SOC, right? What if there is a fairly widespread defect in the built in DAC on this SOC? And I just got lucky with my current One M8...

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #580 of 874
With so many Z2 owners passing through this thread, kinda...politely but persistently banging on the reception desk, asking how the Z2 compares to the M8, allow me to veer off-topic and point out soomal.com has now tested the Z2 for audio, considers it roughly equal in SQ to the Z1, inferior to the One E8 and OnePlus One/Oppo Find 7 (nevermind the M8!). They ended with a scathing op-ed-ish comment that Sony is not incapable of, but simply unwilling to make a smartphone that sounds good.
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #581 of 874
I really doubt it's that high. It has to be <2ohms. It can push my beyer 250ohms pretty decent unlike any previous phone.

Why? Output impedance has NOTHING to do with how strong it can push your headphones.

It pushes your 250 Ohm beyers unlike any other phone: Yes, because the amplifier is ******* strong.

Output impedance: Something totally different. For the Beyerdynamic headphone it does 100,0% NOT matter, it the output impedance is 0.01 Ohm, 2 Ohm, or 10 Ohm. You wont hear a difference. You will probably have to go up to 200-400 Ohm, to hear a SLIGHTLY difference in tonality.
For me, i hear (almost) zero difference between 0 ohm, and 100 Ohm (i have an Adapter for that, which i can change the output impedance freely between 0 and 470 Ohm. Having that on 470 Ohm with my T90 pretty much only reduces the treble by 2-3 dB at best, and raises the whole bass by 2-3 dB. Max. The difference is by FAR not that much, as alot people say.

The Issue with the output impedance is ONLY for In-Ears, which has multiple Drivers. Every Driver reacts to a higher Output impedance. Headphones like your Beyerdynamics have 1 Driver. so it doesnt really matter much.
Inears like the Westone 4/UE900 which has 4 drivers, are different. The Bass driver has a different impedance, than the Treble driver, and mid driver. So every driver will react differently to a higher output impedance.
For example, having too much output impedance could do this:
Bass driver: loses volume
Mid driver: doesnt react at all
Treble driver: gains volume
The tonality is changed. its like using an Equalizer.

However: IF the M8 has 9 Ohm output impedance, like that chinese page measured... who cares. I switched from Galaxy S3 (3,45 Ohm) with an UE 900 to the M8 (which is supposed to hav e9 ohm), i didnt really heared a difference at all. So i dont care if the impedance is 9 ohm, 5 ohm, or 2 ohm. It sounds good to my ears, and doesnt sound "wrong" or anything. Thats all that matters :wink:

(Just to clear things up / additional tech info) ^^

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #584 of 874
I don't care about the audio on the G3, especially after relegating my M8 to only web browsing, the one thing that is great about it in my mind is the screen, colour purity etc look better than that of the M8...

Where does that take me on an audio forum? Movie playback should be stellar on the G3, and as soon as you take audio off board with a DAC or otherwise then most of this thread is irrelevant anyway :)

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #585 of 874
Hey are there any headphone amps that the M8 would benefit from? I'm kinda hitting this brick wall where I'm wondering if the weak point is my source, my phones, or my audio. I'm using HD25s with the M8. It sounds great, but I feel like I want more clarity but I don't know where to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back