New HTC One M8 audio review
Jul 9, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #556 of 874
Anyway the crackling and the mono audio over USB make this phone a no go. This mono thing is outrageous really. How comes nobody at HTC noticed it?

I guess that is because these problems simply don't exist. At least for my unit.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #558 of 874
@elfary I'm testing again and I'm doubting if there's any crackling... I have another M8 near me with 4.4.2 stock with LPA enabled and besides a bit closed soundstage, it doesn't crackle.

Maybe it was a manufacturing problem which is already fixed... I don't know...

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #559 of 874
@elfary I'm testing again and I'm doubting if there's any crackling... I have another M8 near me with 4.4.2 stock with LPA enabled and besides a bit closed soundstage, it doesn't crackle.

What is LPA?

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #560 of 874

Interesting.

Just to confirm, you're testing with headphones and not sensitive iems and volume of at least 13/15?

Also some musical styles are more prone to crackle on my unit than others. Sometimes it's just on very few drum hits of a track. A lot of times completely clean at any volume level.

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #563 of 874
Interesting.

Just to confirm, you're testing with headphones and not sensitive iems and volume of at least 13/15?

Also some musical styles are more prone to crackle on my unit than others. Sometimes it's just on very few drum hits of a track. A lot of times completely clean at any volume level.

Sounds like a recording issue that was revealed on the HTC One M8?

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #564 of 874
Interesting.

There's nothing wrong with mine either...

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #565 of 874

Sounds like a recording issue that was revealed on the HTC One M8?

Very unlikely, I think it's just the amp clipping.

Else the M8 would be the only device that I've ever played my music on revealing those recording issues. The crackling appears on tracks from lots of different genres, from 1940s Jazz to 2014 EDM, and it's always the same sound.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #566 of 874

Very unlikely, I think it's just the amp clipping.

Else the M8 would be the only device that I've ever played my music on revealing those recording issues. The crackling appears on tracks from lots of different genres, from 1940s Jazz to 2014 EDM, and it's always the same sound.

Maybe you want to point me to those tracks for me to try them out?

I will first try out the tracks using my Benchmark DAC1 with my UERM before trying it out on the HTC One M8 using my Focal Professional headphone.

All of them are very neutral and revealing gears and will pick up the slightest distortion/clipping if there are any.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #567 of 874
  There's nothing wrong with mine either...

Then it might be true that there are really just a lot of defective units (I remember someone in this thread talking about huge variation in sound on different M8s), or you're just lucky because of your setup & music choice. 

Could you checkout this track with some kind of over ear headphones at about 13/15? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dfMM4BRI-o

Starting from about 1:24, no matter what over- or on ear headphones I use, this turns into a crackle-fest on my M8 :)

edit: I'm not saying that this isn't an unusual amount of sub-bass, but none of my other devices from a small clip zip, to DX50 or the headphone out of my Rane DJ-Mixer is playing this with crackling.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #568 of 874

Then it might be true that there are really just a lot of defective units (I remember someone in this thread talking about huge variation in sound on different M8s), or you're just lucky because of your setup & music choice. 

Could you checkout this track with some kind of over ear headphones at about 13/15? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dfMM4BRI-o

Starting from about 1:24, no matter what over- or on ear headphones I use, this turns into a crackle-fest on my M8 :)

edit: I'm not saying that this isn't an unusual amount of sub-bass, but none of my other devices from a small clip zip, to DX50 or the headphone out of my Rane DJ-Mixer is playing this with crackling.

I only heard some soft noise around that region. The noise is audible on both my M8 and my Benchmark DAC1. You must really crank the volume up until your ear hurts to hear them.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #569 of 874

I only heard some soft noise around that region. The noise is audible on both my M8 and my Benchmark DAC1. You must really crank the volume up until your ear hurts to hear them.

Yes, I think this noise is either caused by the youtube upload, or due to the production.
With this track, the crackling is so obvious on my device (at loud, but not really deafening volume) that it's impossible to overhear.

Now it would be interesting to know why some devices are affected and others aren't, maybe it's region specific.

But I've lost the interest in investigating this, since I decided to rather use my dx50 on the road. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back