New HTC One M8 audio review
Jul 8, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #541 of 874
Problem comes when people start flashing the phone using non-official firmware/rom.

No.

(Ok, to make this a bit more constructive.)
That is absolutely not the case, according to my experience.
Specially in the world of android, custom roms, third party apps and great devs have repeatedly provided tweaks and applications that make a dramatic difference to the audio output of multiple devices.
Naturally, hardware has its limitations and you can't expect mobile phones to go toe to toe with dedicated audio hardware (yet).
However, the software in front of the hardware does play a role in smartphones.
And when the audio control options provided by the device manufacturer are volume up/down and mute, I'd say that non-official software allowing you to fully utilize your hardware's potential is a blessing and not a problem.

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #542 of 874
Can't really say. I have two pairs of 16ohm IEMs (same as yours) and they are both fine. Tried some westone W40s (31 ohm) and had occasional crackling with those.

I would guess they will be OK, but you should really try it out before buying (or buy with option to return it).

You think it might be because you have the volume lower for the 16 ohm IEMs? I read earlier in the thread that the HTC crackled specifically at higher volumes. I don't want you to hurt your ears but could you see if louder volume notches introduce crackles to the 16 ohm IEMs?

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #543 of 874
Can't really say. I have two pairs of 16ohm IEMs (same as yours) and they are both fine. Tried some westone W40s (31 ohm) and had occasional crackling with those.

I would guess they will be OK, but you should really try it out before buying (or buy with option to return it).

You think it might be because you have the volume lower for the 16 ohm IEMs? I read earlier in the thread that the HTC crackled specifically at higher volumes. I don't want you to hurt your ears but could you see if louder volume notches introduce crackles to the 16 ohm IEMs?

Having the volume lower definitely helps, but out of interest, I've once tried to push the volume to unhealthy levels to provoke the crackling and can't remember hearing any.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #544 of 874
Having the volume lower definitely helps, but out of interest, I've once tried to push the volume to unhealthy levels to provoke the crackling and can't remember hearing any.

So in your experimentation, higher ohm headphones are too much for the M8 for whatever reason. Have you experimented with any full size headphones? I have a pair of Grado 80i and some MDR7506 that I may use with the HTC as well. Regardless, I feel that I will probably have to go to the store and test them out anyhow, but regardless if you know anything about full size headphones with the M8 that would be great.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #545 of 874
No.

Specially in the world of android, custom roms, third party apps and great devs have repeatedly provided tweaks and applications that make a dramatic difference to the audio output of multiple devices.
Naturally, hardware has its limitations and you can't expect mobile phones to go toe to toe with dedicated audio hardware (yet).
And when the audio control options provided by the device manufacturer are volume up/down and mute, I'd say that non-official software allowing you to fully utilize your hardware's potential is a blessing and not a problem.

I am not implying that flashing android firmwares/roms will not bring in any advantage - for if that is the case nobody will bother doing that in the first place.

However, the flashing of firmwares/roms has its own set of risks and may introduce instability/problems into a device that is running on official firmware/rom tested to be stable. This is why most creator of such third party firmwares/roms has a disclaimer telling people to do it at their own risk.

Ok that is off topic.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #546 of 874

So in your experimentation, higher ohm headphones are too much for the M8 for whatever reason. Have you experimented with any full size headphones? I have a pair of Grado 80i and some MDR7506 that I may use with the HTC as well. Regardless, I feel that I will probably have to go to the store and test them out anyhow, but regardless if you know anything about full size headphones with the M8 that would be great.

I've tested the M8 with Sennheiser Momentums (over + on ear), HD25-1 & Soundmagic HP100. Had problems with crackling with all of these. But depending on the musical style you won't hear it. I'm getting it a lot with sub bass heavy music like dubstep as well as with music with lots of dynamics like for example jazz. Depending on the type of music you listen to, you might not hear it while trying it out.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #547 of 874
No.

dramatic difference?  most i've tried do nothing or did worse.  there have been a couple like volume mods or fixing some other discrepancy but for the most part, a lot of mods do nothing or are placebo.  some of the wolfson stuff has stood out, but almost everything i've tried with qualcomm has been crap or useless.  and wolfson does help with some of the open sourcing.  can't do that with qualcomm.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #548 of 874
I've tested the M8 with Sennheiser Momentums (over + on ear), HD25-1 & Soundmagic HP100. Had problems with crackling with all of these. But depending on the musical style you won't hear it. I'm getting it a lot with sub bass heavy music like dubstep as well as with music with lots of dynamics like for example jazz. Depending on the type of music you listen to, you might not hear it while trying it out.

If that's the case, I don't think this is a phone I'll be too interested in. I trust you have a good ear, have you tested the audio of any other phones on the market that have struck you as great performers?

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #549 of 874
If that's the case, I don't think this is a phone I'll be too interested in. I trust you have a good ear, have you tested the audio of any other phones on the market that have struck you as great performers?

Please go get your beloved iPhone. :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #552 of 874

This crackling issue reminds me a lot of the Galaxy S4 fuzzies.

Does it happen in the last step of volume, only at 2 steps from maximum... ...on the S4 just happened on the step 14 (out of 15). It was measured by Jensigner.

Anyway the crackling and the mono audio over USB make this phone a no go. This mono thing is outrageous really. How comes nobody at HTC noticed it?

Hence as usual i'd stick to my iPhone 5s (that as usual has no audio flaws of any kind).

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #553 of 874

Not really, had an iPhone 5 for a while which had good sq but not enough power to drive the bigger headphones. Also don't like ios too much. The amp of the m8 was the promising thing, but I ultimately decided to just use a DAP for my portable music.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #554 of 874
Not really, had an iPhone 5 for a while which had good sq but not enough power to drive the bigger headphones. Also don't like ios too much. The amp of the m8 was the promising thing, but I ultimately decided to just use a DAP for my portable music.

Was your iPhone 5 european?

Since 2013 all Apple handsets are capped within Europe (non removable from the music menu. Only via jailbreak)

My US iPhone 5s delivers 1 volt where my (now sold) European iPhone 5s only delivered 0.6 volts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back