New HTC One M8 audio review
Jun 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #437 of 874
Lastly I'd just like to say that I dropped my M8 yesterday, it fell face down onto asphalt, and there's now a thin internal crack on the display glass. I haven't been so sad about dropping anything in 20 years! And that is all I've got to say on this particular device. No more rants from me. Bring on the M9. Enough of people putting words in my mouth already.
size]

Argghhhh. That hurt me to read. Are you within the first 6 months of ownership? HTC will replace screens for free within the first 6 months... sorry to hear that though, man. 

Edit: Dumb question actually, I think the phone was only released 4 months ago. This is what I'm talking about btw: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2453507,00.asp

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #438 of 874

Argghhhh. That hurt me to read. Are you within the first 6 months of ownership? HTC will replace screens for free within the first 6 months... sorry to hear that though, man.

That is a USA-only service that you have to pay to opt-in. I googled and the cost in my case will most likely come to about $180.

I'd probably not repair it so long as the crack stays within the glass and doesn't affect the actual LCD. Given how fast smartphone hardware is evolving (and being abandoned by silicon valley as a whole), it's a far better deal to just get another phone next year, even if the M8 cost me $700+...it's a price I willingly submit to, but I don't see the point in adding $180 to it to make it a $900 phone.

I started out just wanting a xiaomi mi3 which is under $250, but made the jump for verifiable SQ and a few other accoutrements. I still love the phone but an advice I heard just last month rings true... be willing to accept if you jump and the net doesn't appear; be at peace with that.

The rear edges are also fairly scratched up, but this is liberating and gives me free reign to use the phone as I would any DAP -- dump it in the back pocket of my jeans unprotected. For the first month I spent a lot of time trying to use cases, protect the metal finish, which led to trouble holding the phone, which is what eventually led to my dropping it.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #439 of 874
Ironically, for the Amperior, I prefer the iPhone to the M8 - just marries better (better synergy) - so, jscivias, guess the question is, why have you fallen out of love with Apple (iPhone at least) and want to change (to get an idea if you might actually be better off upgrading headphones / overall package, or - simply sticking in the Apple ecosystem)...

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #440 of 874
Ironically, for the Amperior, I prefer the iPhone to the M8 - just marries better (better synergy) - so, jscivias, guess the question is, why have you fallen out of love with Apple (iPhone at least) and want to change (to get an idea if you might actually be better off upgrading headphones / overall package, or - simply sticking in the Apple ecosystem)...
eww apple. ('errybody knows I hate apple... And with great reasons. The iPhone, iPad, MacBook pro, and MacBook air are all in the top 10 most overpriced electronic products list... Plus, iPhone breaks easy as crap if you drop it, the camera is lacking, it has a low resolution screen, low processing power etc...) he's much better making the switch to the m8 etc. Its a phone first, not a dap first. He'll like the functionality and customizable qualities of android a lot more. Plus, apple is dropping in popularity big time. They've dropped over 20% in market share to only 18%, and are projected to keep losing share... They are projected to hit 11% by 2018, and windows phone is projected to keep climbing the ladder... They are probably going to pass up iPhone as the 2nd most popular smartphone OS by 2020-2030. Android is probably not going anywhere, since it cover more than half of the market share.

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #441 of 874
All well and good, but - this being an audio related question, me having both phones AND the headphones in question...

No point in going to the M8 (which is technically more advanced in all aspects), and not liking the synergy with the headphones the user has ;o)

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #442 of 874
All well and good, but - this being an audio related question, me having both phones AND the headphones in question...

No point in going to the M8 (which is technically more advanced in all aspects), and not liking the synergy with the headphones the user has ;o)
yeah, that does put you in a better position to judge which is best for those headphones... Which, iPhone won in that case. :) well, is it just a personal preference, or is it a sound quality thing?

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #443 of 874
eww apple. ('errybody knows I hate apple... And with great reasons. The iPhone, iPad, MacBook pro, and MacBook air are all in the top 10 most overpriced electronic products list... Plus, iPhone breaks easy as crap if you drop it, the camera is lacking, it has a low resolution screen, low processing power etc...) he's much better making the switch to the m8 etc. Its a phone first, not a dap first. He'll like the functionality and customizable qualities of android a lot more. Plus, apple is dropping in popularity big time. They've dropped over 20% in market share to only 18%, and are projected to keep losing share... They are projected to hit 11% by 2018, and windows phone is projected to keep climbing the ladder... They are probably going to pass up iPhone as the 2nd most popular smartphone OS by 2020-2030. Android is probably not going anywhere, since it cover more than half of the market share.

I had an iphone 4 before purchasing a Lumia 920, then a Moto G, then finally an HTC M8 over the last couple of years. Being forced to use itunes alone should stop anyone in their tracks of using one for music. Terrible experience .

"please update your itunes" every time you want to upload new music to your phone. "sync all your files". Navigate through the cumbersome interface and see that itunes has now deleted all the music from your phone etc.

Drag and drop is all I need, thanks. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #444 of 874

That is a USA-only service that you have to pay to opt-in. I googled and the cost in my case will most likely come to about $180.

I'd probably not repair it so long as the crack stays within the glass and doesn't affect the actual LCD. Given how fast smartphone hardware is evolving (and being abandoned by silicon valley as a whole), it's a far better deal to just get another phone next year, even if the M8 cost me $700+...it's a price I willingly submit to, but I don't see the point in adding $180 to it to make it a $900 phone.

I started out just wanting a xiaomi mi3 which is under $250, but made the jump for verifiable SQ and a few other accoutrements. I still love the phone but an advice I heard just last month rings true... be willing to accept if you jump and the net doesn't appear; be at peace with that.

The rear edges are also fairly scratched up, but this is liberating and gives me free reign to use the phone as I would any DAP -- dump it in the back pocket of my jeans unprotected. For the first month I spent a lot of time trying to use cases, protect the metal finish, which led to trouble holding the phone, which is what eventually led to my dropping it.

Ah, ok, if it's that much money I can understand waiting for the next gen to get something better/faster for the same money. That's a very logical positive looking stance. Your last paragraph especially rings true for me. I find myself getting nervous holding the phone, and always fumbling around with the dot view case trying to protect it. Where these devices are supposed to be liberating I end up fretting, and not only does it make holding the phone more difficult, but it detracts from the overall experience. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #445 of 874

I had an iphone 4 before purchasing a Lumia 920, then a Moto G, then finally an HTC M8 over the last couple of years. Being forced to use itunes alone should stop anyone in their tracks of using one for music. Terrible experience .

"please update your itunes" every time you want to upload new music to your phone. "sync all your files". Navigate through the cumbersome interface and see that itunes has now deleted all the music from your phone etc.

Well said and coincides with my experience totally.  I feel almost liberated when I banished my wife's iPhone from our household (We both got M8's :) )  After a few days with the M8, my wife asked me, "why would anyone buy iPhones anymore? An android is so much more flexible and useful"  iTunes is truly terrible.  It seems to have a mind on its own and doesn't feel the least bit apologetic or helpful when it screws you up for no reason.  (My friends and I have also had experience with bad days when it deletes all the apps you have and reinstalled a few you've deleted for no reason)

Getting back to the sound, I find the M8 to sound decent with its built in app or Play Music, but things improved a bit as I switched to Jetaudio (under which I lowered gain by a couple of db and seem to have cured that slightly annoying clipping issue). Denon app is also ok, but the UI and functions are lacking compared with Jetaudio.   Compared to my Cowon D20 player (driving Sony XBA-4), the M8 has better clarity, extension and soundstage, and the Cowon has better body and density of sound.  Heard the iBasso DX50 and Fiio X3 briefly (also with the XBA4).  They are both better than the M8, particularly the iBasso which marries even better clarity with the meat of the Cowon.  However, considering that it is a phone to begin with and has substantially better interface compared to those players due to its Android system, I really have no complaints on the M8. I use it for most of my listening while travelling, unless I go on flights or while working out, in which case the battery life and small size of the Cowon are useful.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #447 of 874

Well said and coincides with my experience totally.  I feel almost liberated when I banished my wife's iPhone from our household (We both got M8's :) )  After a few days with the M8, my wife asked me, "why would anyone buy iPhones anymore? An android is so much more flexible and useful"  iTunes is truly terrible.  It seems to have a mind on its own and doesn't feel the least bit apologetic or helpful when it screws you up for no reason.  (My friends and I have also had experience with bad days when it deletes all the apps you have and reinstalled a few you've deleted for no reason)

Getting back to the sound, I find the M8 to sound decent with its built in app or Play Music, but things improved a bit as I switched to Jetaudio (under which I lowered gain by a couple of db and seem to have cured that slightly annoying clipping issue). Denon app is also ok, but the UI and functions are lacking compared with Jetaudio.   Compared to my Cowon D20 player (driving Sony XBA-4), the M8 has better clarity, extension and soundstage, and the Cowon has better body and density of sound.  Heard the iBasso DX50 and Fiio X3 briefly (also with the XBA4).  They are both better than the M8, particularly the iBasso which marries even better clarity with the meat of the Cowon.  However, considering that it is a phone to begin with and has substantially better interface compared to those players due to its Android system, I really have no complaints on the M8. I use it for most of my listening while travelling, unless I go on flights or while working out, in which case the battery life and small size of the Cowon are useful.

I have Dx50: will I really disappointed with the M8?

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #448 of 874
Has anyone upgraded to the M8 or the 5S from a Wolfson Galaxy S3? I'm looking to upgrade but very wary about losing the audio quality I have from this phone so would love to know if there's been a comparison.

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #449 of 874
I have Dx50: will I really disappointed with the M8?
You'll lose resolution / depth of sound, but - depends if you amp / what headphones / IEMs you use, as to how much of a detriment that may be...

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #450 of 874
Hi, guys -

I thought you all might be interested in an objective analysis. AnandTech just completed a comparison of the audio quality between the One M8 and the Galaxy S5; the author concluded that the M8 is superior.

Best regards,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back