New HTC One M8 audio review
Apr 1, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #61 of 874
Wait, I thought that the LG G2 and the Nexus 5 had the same DAC?  It was said to be implemented in the Snapdragon 800 processor.  Anyway, do you find the Nexus 5 sound quality decent nonetheless even if there are better smartphones in sound?

Don't believe so. G2 supports higher bit rates and sounded better to my ears.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #63 of 874
I sold my Galaxy S3 and Htc One (M7) because of a hiss at low volume.
Has anyone heard the hiss on the M7 and can verify it has been eliminated on the M8?

Although the nexus 4 didnt have as great measurements as the above units, It's hiss was significantly less.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #64 of 874
Don't believe so. G2 supports higher bit rates and sounded better to my ears.

An interesting point there...

The M8 is not capable natively (or at least if it is, it doesn't shout about it) of playing hi-res (USBAPP fixes that) - but, damn - does it sound good...

Takes me back to the point I've raised before re bit-rates, which is more important, hi-res formats or quality of electronics in the signal path....

Note 3 = Hi-Res capable, HTC One M8 = questionable, but - the M8 sounds better by quite a wide margin (wider than I have alluded to in earlier posts!)

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #65 of 874
  An interesting point there...

The M8 is not capable natively (or at least if it is, it doesn't shout about it) of playing hi-res (USBAPP fixes that) - but, damn - does it sound good...

Takes me back to the point I've raised before re bit-rates, which is more important, hi-res formats or quality of electronics in the signal path....

Note 3 = Hi-Res capable, HTC One M8 = questionable, but - the M8 sounds better by quite a wide margin (wider than I have alluded to in earlier posts!)

Quality of electronics in signal path 900x over. 16 Bit FLAC on a phone is plenty for me.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #66 of 874
good to hear that it's internal DAC/AMP is good, but...
since I still search for a"source" for my HUGO DAC/AMP, i would like to know if it can do bit-perfect streaming of 24/192 files,  WITHOUT Downsampling,  to an external USB DAC (without UAPP) ?

thanks

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #68 of 874
  Anyone no what DAC being used in the new HTC one M8?

In a phone i would be more concerned about shielding, output circuitry and output impedance. I just assumed the Snapdragon 801 SOC integrated a DAC in the package?

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #69 of 874
Just got my HTC M8 yesterday and I am happy to say that I am impressed with the sound! The volume capability is indeed quite large and I find myself listening to at just a few levels above silent. There is a BoomSound feature available for headphone outs, and that function toggles a big bass boost. Of course, clarity is lost a bit, but the mega bass boost can be pretty "fun" sometimes 
biggrin.gif
 for sure.

I will post some pictures when I get back. The phone feels rock solid and the screen is great. However, I feel like the camera can have some improvements though. It is not bad in any means, but I'm sure there are easily rooms for improvement. I'm a happy camper with my M8!

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #70 of 874
Hey guys,

Does anyone think this is a legit listing?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-New-HTC-One-M8-16GB-Gray-Gold-Silver-Brand-New-Factory-Unlocked-/261442890545?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item3cdf35eb31
Id be keen to get it, but you have to buy 2 at a time, I contacted him and everything seems a tad too perfect.
Just wanted to know whether or not someone has actually already dealt with him.

Cheers,

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #72 of 874
  Why on Earth would you buy a phone from a guy on eBay that says you MUST order 2 at a time?  That just sounds shady from the jump.  Stay away from that listing.

Wouldn't so much call that shady as I would just call it a ...d- Move.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #73 of 874
  Wouldn't so much call that shady as I would just call it a ...d- Move.

I call it shady.  Making you drop a grand at least.  Then it just so happens the seller disappears.  Shady as hell.  

Typed from experience...almost lost a 500 dollar iPad because of some shady a-hole on eBay jacking accounts.  Thankfully, I'm overly cautious and I insured and required signature confirmation so got the money back from Paypal.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #74 of 874
Yeah it does seem extremely shady. But I wasn't overly worried as I knew if I had gone into it, I would have definitely got a refund from Paypal, under 'no item was received' or something of the sort.

I'm contemplating getting this phone, but I'm not sure whether or not I should wait and see what LG brings out with their new LG G3. I don't think Ill head towards samsung as they have never really caught my eye. Yes it has a lot of software features, but I truly love a beautiful phone, similar to that of the iPhone. The Xperia Z2 seemed quite nice as well, but then again I'm not sure I'm a fan of their design. Spec wise its top notch however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back