New HLLY SMK-III Digital Audio Decoder
Apr 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #121 of 138
There are times I need to bring it down, and I'm not concerned about losing bit depth. I found a program called sound flower that fixed my issue. Most of the time I run it at 100%, and since my critical listening is done with the Metric Halo boxes, I really just need this thing to be balanced and quiet, which it is. 

Thanks for the reply. 

May 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #125 of 138
Quote:
Shameless plug - I have one of these with op-amp mods for sale on eBay under the same username. (ampsarus) :)

I have it on my watch list. If it doesn't go too high I may well get it off you. I have been looking for a good stand-alone dac, and this one seems to be a very good unit, especially the dac section, which is mainly what I am interested in.

May 25, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #126 of 138

May 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #129 of 138
Quote:
And this is all before any OP amp rolling

op275 is not a good choise. i prefer ad826 in i/v section, lme49860 in a filter and ad823 in a headphone amp
Quote:
My guess is that the R-core trans in the SMK-III plays a big part in giving out clean and powerful sound

yes, but you can upgrade your dac having replaced r-core with a two toroid transformers. and, also, you need an EMI filter that was missed in hlly

Quote:
Anyone please help me, how can I open the top cover of this DAC?
Thanks!

there are four screws on the back panel. it is necessary to unscrew them

my English is not very good
smile.gif

May 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #130 of 138
Thanks for the advice - I'll consider op amp rolling if the next DAC doesn't end up as a great improvement.
Will keep the SMK-III in that case and start rolling.
Also I won't probably need to change op amp in the headphone amp circuit as I just use the V181.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

op275 is not a good choise. i prefer ad826 in i/v section, lme49860 in a filter and ad823 in a headphone amp
yes, but you can upgrade your dac having replaced r-core with a two toroid transformers. and, also, you need an EMI filter that was missed in hlly

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #131 of 138
Received HLLY SMKIII yesterday and started listening to it with AKG 240 Monitor.  I could not hear a thing until I turned the volume all the way to 3AM!  Then I quickly realized it is a 600-ohm headphones and probably not a good fit with HLLY SMKIII.  
tongue_smile.gif

After listening HLLY SMKIII with HD600 and HF-2 for about 5 hours, I can say I really like how it sounds.  The sound is balance and a little warm, great for Jazz vocals.  However, when comparing to GS-1, SMKIII is not as detail and natural.  It is especially true when listening to classical music with HD600.

In general, I am very happy with SMKIII, it will do great sitting next my GS-1.  I use it mainly for female Jazz vocals.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #132 of 138
Mine stopped working exactly 2 weeks after I got it. It cuts in and out with crazy noise regardless of what I am clocking it from. I'd love to return mine, which David said was possible, but he has gone missing, and I have no idea how to ship it back. Hopefully, he checks these boards still.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #133 of 138
Quote:
Mine stopped working exactly 2 weeks after I got it. It cuts in and out with crazy noise regardless of what I am clocking it from. I'd love to return mine, which David said was possible, but he has gone missing, and I have no idea how to ship it back. Hopefully, he checks these boards still.

Sorry to hear that.  I hope the issue will be resolved for you soon.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #135 of 138
So is David just got vanished after promised to swapfor a working one?

I'm also wondering why there is no sign of MODSMKIII on the official website...

Anybody knows something about it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back