New HiFiMAN HE-500. What amp/dac?
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bustaplz

New Head-Fier
Well my parents surprised me with the HiFiMAN HE-500 for Christmas. I've been using a NuForce uDac2-hp, FiiO E11 and FiiO E5 to drive my Beyer DT770 PRO, Grado SR-125 and Audeo PFE112. I don't think the HE-500 are getting nearly enough power from any of these to really shine. I've heard these headphones through a Rega DAC and Musical Fidelity M1HPA. I don't have nearly the budget for those components, but I know how these headphones CAN sound and I'd like to upgrade from this uDac to something more fitting with the quality of my new headphones.

Budget is pretty low as I'm not working currently. I have $425 I can spend on Amazon, so I'd like to find something that Amazon carries. I've done some research on DACs and amps, but it seems the HE-500 need quite a bit of power, so I'm not sure what I should really look for as far as amplification. I'd like to find a DAC with integrated amp if possible, but I'm not too set on that.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 2
If you mainly using your computer to listen to music I would go like this:

* HRT Music Streamer II Dac (149$)
* Matrix M-stage Amplifier (269$)

I believe that this is one of the best 420$ you can spend through Amazon. Both of these products got great reviews, and they have high price/preformance ratio. I believe that the m-stage will be sufficient to drive those power hungry cans, but in the future you will always have the opportunity to upgrade to something better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back