new here
Jul 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Xijt

New Head-Fier
hello im new too the site and i have been having something erk me here lately... i have always wanted to build some "custom" headphones for xbox. i understand there are tons of headsets already out there and i have 3 different sets. astro a50, triton ax pro, and turtle beach dx11. the turtle beach have crisper highs and lacks tons of lows. the astros have decent highs and have better lows then gets slightly distorted when some explosions go off. the tritons are just trash all together. i have a high end stereo deck which is a pioneer 800prs has a 16 band equalizer on it so i could adjust it quite a bit. i have been looking at 1 inch drivers from tang band because i cant find anyone who sells a 40-50 mm driver. now before i get into too many details. IF i scrounged up all the items needed would this possibly work or would the "surround sound" effect not work in a cd player like it does in a home theater setup. what im really looking for in my headset is low distortion, great bass response and it has to be able to be used on xbox with a mic. im sure i could jerry rig something for my mic so thats not really a big problem. any input is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Get a mixamp for virtual surround with your Xbox. About the headphones, I dunno. DIY headphone? Doubt it will end good. Maybe look in the DIY section.

Surround sound effect when playing CD's or gaming? Don't really understand what you are asking about?

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 10
You have to be a bit more patient. The people who can help you probably didn't see your thread.

Try asking in Mad Lust Envy's headphone gaming guide.
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-18-2013-philips-fidelio-x1-added

Ive checked that out. Looked at that when I signed up for the site.

Get a mixamp for virtual surround with your Xbox. About the headphones, I dunno. DIY headphone? Doubt it will end good. Maybe look in the DIY section.

Surround sound effect when playing CD's or gaming? Don't really understand what you are asking about?

I looked into the mixamp the other day, still at a loss for what headset too use. I havent had many sets so Im not sure which ones will have what im looking for.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 10
You should not use any of the headsets you mentioned if sound quality is a concern. Don't understand, do you want to make your own headphone?
If you want a decent all in one, fire and forget solution you could look into the Skullcandy plyr, but you can get more for your money with headphones. What is your budget?

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
You should not use any of the headsets you mentioned if sound quality is a concern. Don't understand, do you want to make your own headphone?
If you want a decent all in one, fire and forget solution you could look into the Skullcandy plyr, but you can get more for your money with headphones. What is your budget?

i kinda do wanna make my own headphone just too see if i can get what im looking for. i can build enclosures for the speakers if it needs one. i was going too use a 1 inch full range tang band speaker in each cup and run them off some kind of processor. also my budget would be around 400 for a headset.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Okay, what I would advise you to do is order some fostex t50rp and mod them if you are into that kinda DIY stuff. There are many guides and a lot of room for trying different stuff out yourself/ tweaking them to the sound you like. Very good place to start with some modding, and not too expensive either. From what I have heard, you should consider getting an amp for the fostex if that is the route you wanna go.

I don't think you will save money and getting better sound by making it all from scratch at least, but it could probably be interesting. Dunno if you can get proper drivers/speakers, I have no experience in that regard.

If you decide on a setup for gaming and music, I would suggest the phillips fidelio X1 and something like the mixamp. I think you would get a lot for your money that way. Be aware that the x1 is an open headphone, so it does leak sound both in and out. You could get something like a mod mic for it or just a clip on. Don't know too much about that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back