New Here :) Very Excited :)
Oct 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jtaylor781

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone just signed up! :) been reading on the site for a few weeks now... since my landlord rang me saying he had received numerous noise complaints haha..

just want a little help on the set up I have ordered  and what you guys think?

I have ordered the ATM-M50 headphones (had a friend who let me hear them playing flac files and was amazed!!)
I have also ordered the FiiO E7 DAC/AMP (saw good reviews, good price and friend like above had his m50's connected to it)

that is what I have ordered :) cant wait lol.. (got very good price on them both, £149 all together)

does anyone else have this? what are your opinions etc?

what mp3 player would you recommend for sound quality?

I have an iPhone 4, is the quality good enough with the above setup? does the flac apps really work on the iphones?

Love to hear your thoughts & opinions! :D

let me know:)

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 19
FLAC doesn't work on an iPhone, but ALAC does.  You would need something like dbPowerAmp (free trial) to convert to ALAC, but they work really well.

I think your setup as is would work great.  You would need a FiiO L9 if you want to bypass the internal amp on the iPhone and let the E07K do the work instead (or you can use the included mini-mini cable, but that would be double amping).

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 19
Flac will work on a Sansa Clip Zip.

Welcome to Head-Fi...........careful, it is tuff to keep your wallet closed while being here!

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 19
  Hi everyone just signed up! :) been reading on the site for a few weeks now... since my landlord rang me saying he had received numerous noise complaints haha..
just want a little help on the set up I have ordered  and what you guys think?
I have ordered the ATM-M50 headphones (had a friend who let me hear them playing FLAC files and was amazed!!)
I have also ordered the FiiO E7 DAC/AMP (saw good reviews, good price and friend like above had his m50's connected to it)
that is what I have ordered :) can't wait lol.. (got very good price on them both, £149 all together)
does anyone else have this? what are your opinions etc?
what mp3 player would you recommend for sound quality?
I have an iPhone 4, is the quality good enough with the above setup? does the FLAC apps really work on the iPhones?

If you buy a really good DAP (Digital Audio Player), then you might not need to buy the Fiio E7 (or E07K).

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 19
I think your setup will be great.  

Recommend you get a "line-out -dock" cable so you can bypass the phone's amp circuit
and go straight to your amp.  FiiO makes one of these I believe
as well as the various cable makers you'll find here.

I mean, often enough, I use the M50 straight out of my iPod,
but you can get a touch more clarity, line-out to your amp.

If you have a PC then agree with liquidzoo, to get dbpoweramp
to convert FLAC to ALAC.  If you're on a Mac, then what I use there is
XLD.  Works wonderfully.  Both FLAC and ALAC are full resolution
lossless formats.

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for all your coments :) means alot!

I think i will be using the FiiO e7 mostly for my laptop and work computer. possibly my iphone or DAP (if i get one) if its not to much hassle when traveling..

i will defenitly look into the line out dock cable :) thanks! :D

whats the sound quality and power like coming from ipods/iphones? would there be any need buying a DAP?

i will defenitly use "dbpoweramp" thanks everyone! :D

what is the Sansa Clip's like? can you bypass its amp circut? so it goes though the amp? or is there any need??

Sansa Clip+ vs iPhone 4?? which is better for sound quality? and will the Clip+ power the M50's?

another thing, i am upgrading my phone contract soon and would like to get a phone that will better my setup even more :) are the Samsung galaxy S phones really one of the best for headphones? saw a good few posts about them and the HTC ONES?

what do use all use?:)

Thanks!

everything helps! :D

JT

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #9 of 19
ive actuly been looking at the samsung notes 2 & 3 :) do they power the headphones well? and i want to try and stay way from htc phones had a bad expericence with them:L

have you or anyone tired the Deezer app?

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 19
ive actuly been looking at the samsung notes 2 & 3 :) do they power the headphones well? and i want to try and stay way from htc phones had a bad expericence with them:L

If you root the Note 2, it is easy to replace a config file and output more power from the headphone amp: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1931970&nocache=1

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 19
If you root the Note 2, it is easy to replace a config file and output more power from the headphone amp: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1931970&nocache=1

If it's anything like my old Skyrocket (which I suspect it's not, but still) I can't even imagine what that will do to the battery over time.  You'd be better off with a separate AMP in the long run, I believe.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 19
While I like the sound directly out of my iPhone 5, the proprietary cable is a hindrance.
The connector  is svelte and physically convenient, but has built-in electronics that
limits your choices.  I'm sure they have their reasons, but for audio geeks, the connnector is a nuisance.

I haven't had time with any of the Android phones, but at least some of them offer
standard USB in case you want to go with external DAC in the future.  I believe not all
these offer the same audio features, such as line-out, so check before you buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back