New Here Noob Alert Headphone Questions
May 1, 2012 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pwnerman

Head-Fier
Hey guys let me explain my story.

I've been looking for some nice headphones for awhile now ( used to have beats and I didn't like them as I will explain) and I'm so lost with all the differences and such I was hoping a audiophile could help me.

I've been taking the normal approach by searching Google and reading Amazon reviews but its still foreign to me. First off when I'm reading a review about a 200-300 dollar pair most of the time people are talking about how great or not they are for mixing. First off I don't mix I'm just a normal music listener I don't do anything in the studio or anything like that. I'm looking for a pair because in the fall ill be living in the dorms and of course I can't have noises going on all night.

The problem I had with my beats are that when I had them on for long periods they actually made my head hurt because they felt like ****. Also idk if this is common but they made my ears sweat or something and it got uncomfortable.

What I need is a pair of headphones that are confortable to wear for long periods easy to use (I have no clue what these amps are ) don't leak noise and are ok for long gaming sessions. I've seen beyerdynamics makes gaming headphones but I don't think the mic is removable and I plan on using these everywhere. Plus my bro has a pair of astro gaming headphones and they feel weird. I think that's it. Thanks

P.s is this forum compatible with tapatalk? Thanks

May 2, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 18
Try out over the ear or circumaural headphones, they put less pressure on your ears. IEMs are also a good choice.

May 2, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 18
I had beats studios before aren't they over the ear? Also I'm interested in these in ear monitors but do they give off the same quality and bass as the full sized denon 2000 Im looking at. Also I just googled them and I saw Logitech sells them and some get up in the thousands of dollars. Are they any good? Why are they so expensive.

What I'm asking is what is the advantage of paying about 300 for these monitor things over the full sized denons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

May 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 18
I've been reading up on these in ear monitors and it seems they are for live performances and concerts?

Plus most are too expensive so I think I'm gonna focus on the over the ear headphones for my situation.

If I'm wrong about what I just said please correct me

May 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 18
- What is your music source (computer, phone or some type of media player)?
- Where do you plan on using your headphones (100% inside the dorm, mostly outside dorm, maybe 50/50 or ??? )?

About those IEMs they are just another type of headphones that you plug into your ear canal. They can be bought as cheap as few dollars and can cost thousands of dollars just like your typical headphones can.

May 2, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 18
- What is your music source (computer, phone or some type of media player)? - Where do you plan on using your headphones (100% inside the dorm, mostly outside dorm, maybe 50/50 or ??? )?   About those IEMs they are just another type of headphones that you plug into your ear canal. They can be bought as cheap as few dollars and can cost thousands of dollars just like your typical headphones can.

Most of the time its a computer and phone and prob mostly in the dorm and at night.

Also I noticed the price difference but do they offer the same sound as the bigger full sized ones. I'm sorry for being so vague but I have no clue

Also to the make extension cables so it can reach my ps3 idk how FAQ away ill be sitting but no more then 5 feet prob

May 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #9 of 18
Take a look at www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide and try to find headphones with number (1) at the beginning, indicating that they don't need/benefit from amp.

May 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 18
Well the thing is this. If you want full sized headphones and want to be able to use them on your computer and on your phone, it would mean that you need a portable headphone amp. Or headphone that is easy to drive and doesn't need that amp.

The amp is just a device between your music source and headphones. Doesn't require any knowledge on how to use. But they cost money and can be quite bulky in your pocket since they are not that small.  

I suggested IEMs because they don't need an amp and are much more practical for portable use. But since you want to be able to use headphones in stuff like PS3, the cable is too short for that kind of use.

So....when looking for headphones remember to leave room for an amp in your budget. Or look for headphones that don't need amp.

Edit: For example check out AKG K550 (300$). Doesn't need an amp, folds flat for portable use, is closed type thus isolates outside noise.

May 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 18
Are the amps for people that don't leave there desk and stuff? I'm guessing once again that they are for.music producers and stuff. Am I correct. And thanks ill look at those

May 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 18
Headphones have different sensitivity and impedance numbers. Those are usually listed under "specification". Some headphones need amplifier to "drive" them, because they have too low sensitivity number and too high impedance number making it impossible for your typical ipod to drive them. So when people still want to use those headphones from their ipod they get amplifier to "drive" the headphones.

Popular portable headphone amplifier Fiio E17 size: 96mm x 55mm 15.2mm, but portable amplifiers come in many different sizes. This was just to give you an idea about the size.

May 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 18
ok guys i think after a bunch of looking at the options i think ive narrowed it down to the DENON AH-D2000 and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO.

my next question is what is the Headphone impedance mean? the denons are 25 ohms and the beyers are 250 ohms.

is higher better? also what are your opinions on which is a better pair and the lightest

also i read in one thread on here about the beyers is that the fluffy earpads made his head hot after long periods. is this true? i do plan on having it on mt head for long periods sometimes

May 2, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
ok guys i think after a bunch of looking at the options i think ive narrowed it down to the DENON AH-D2000 and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO.

my next question is what is the Headphone impedance mean? the denons are 25 ohms and the beyers are 250 ohms.

is higher better? also what are your opinions on which is a better pair and the lightest

also i read in one thread on here about the beyers is that the fluffy earpads made his head hot after long periods. is this true? i do plan on having it on mt head for long periods sometimes

If you want to understand the technicalities of impedance, you can take a look at the thread link in my signature (below).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back