New here, need some advice
Sep 13, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 39
 Maybe I should try that I'm sure it wouldn't look weird buying like 400.00 in hedphones then returning most of them :L3000:

Ask Music Alchemist. I'm pretty sure he does it all the time. I try to limit myself to headphones that I'm fairly confidant I'll purchase and keep. I think it's OK to buy two but keep one and return the other. They still get a sale. Just the KRKs were not at all what I expected.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #32 of 39
   When I read this I heard it in slo-mo in my mind lol

*snickers...while eating Twix*

Ask Music Alchemist. I'm pretty sure he does it all the time. I try to limit myself to headphones that I'm fairly confidant I'll purchase and keep. I think it's OK to buy two but keep one and return the other. They still get a sale. Just the KRKs were not at all what I expected.

ehehe. I rarely ever return headphones, actually. Most of them are purchased used or gotten in trades, then eventually sold or traded on the used market. This is how to be a Pokémon trainer with headphones.
cool.gif
Find experienced Pokémon headphones in the wild on the for sale forums, battle and catch them, train them in your ways use them for awhile, then pit them against other Pokémon compare them to other headphones and trade with other Pokémon trainers headphone owners...or sell 'em off.

I wanna hear the very best, like no one ever heard. To catch them is my real test, to review them is my cause. I will travel across Head-Fi, searching far and wide. Each headphone to understand the power that's inside. Gotta catch 'em all!

Everything I've owned so far is mainly to have the experiences with what resources I have while being lazy. But I'm about to stop being so lazy. My ultimate headphones would be some of the ultra-high-end ones. And even some of those aren't good enough for me. (I know speakers are a better value in some ways, but I prefer headphones.)

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #35 of 39
Try Alessandro MS-1. It's a laid back version of Grado SR80e's which sound warmer.
(PS: I personally don't recommend Sony 7506's, cause they are DJ style and might sound harsh and rigid.)

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #36 of 39
Speaking of STAX...

@vondoom88

You can sometimes find STAX electret (variation of electrostatic) systems for under $100 on the used market. Even low-end STAX sounds so good it's unbelievable, especially for the price. Nothing in production in that price range can begin to compete. Heck, to me, it sounds more transparent and realistic than the most expensive non-electrostats.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #37 of 39
Audio Technica ATH-M40x would be very good at the absolute upper-end of your price-range, and would be a very nice investment for the longterm.  They're what I'd go with if I were you.

The ATH-M30x are cheaper than the M40x, and quite good for their price, but IMO not as good (by quite a margin) as the M40x.  So it'd be worth shelling out a little extra cash to get the M40x instead.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #38 of 39
So I received my AKG's Thursday! So far I like them not sure how much or if they'll break in. My phone was able to drive them without any issues. My receiver had no issues driving them to a nice level. There is quite a bit of sound bleeding out of them but they are open backed I kind of expected that. Comfortable even with my glasses on.

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #39 of 39
  So I received my AKG's Thursday! So far I like them not sure how much or if they'll break in. My phone was able to drive them without any issues. My receiver had no issues driving them to a nice level. There is quite a bit of sound bleeding out of them but they are open backed I kind of expected that. Comfortable even with my glasses on.

I'm glad you're enjoying them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back