New here and Onkyo DAC-HA200/Android Help!
Dec 6, 2017 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RyanM1989

New Head-Fier
Hello, the name is Ryan, I am a new guy here and am having issues with my Onkyo DAC-HA200.

I am using it with my Sony Xperia XZ Premium, with which I was able to get audio out to it but my phone is having an issue recognizing the DAC. I have tried 2 paid apps (Onkyo HF Player with unlock key and USB Audio Player Pro) and neither see the DAC as an actual DAC. I was able to get audio out through regular music players but not at higher bit rates. I tried using a standard USB to USB-C cable plugged into the main port on it, I have also tried using the cord provided with a USB micro to USB-C adapter to my phone, and an USB micro OTG cable plugged into the USB micro port with a USB to USB-C cable and neither player recognizes the DAC plugged in.

The Sony Xperia XZ Premium runs Android 8.0 Oreo which has OTG built in to settings now so there is no switch to enable it. I tried setting the USB to audio only in Developer Options. I still have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I want to love this device but I am struggling in wanting to return this device and try the Fiio E18 (which is more android specific).

Mar 19, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 10
I find it very frustrating that the awesome onkyo hf app for Android won't even pair with onkyo official devices. It's totally ridiculous and surely is to be blamed on the fact they were bought out by the defunct Gibson guitars group who then ran Teac onkyo and tascam into the ground.

May 22, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 10
Just found informations here:
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver

There, it say's:
"because Android did not support USB audio until Android 5"
"Even Android 5 and upward has very limited support for USB audio devices"

I guess, that i should have found all of that - before i bought two of them

Because of my constellation:
BlackBerry Classic - which support OTG
Old version of Onkyo HF Player - because, the max android support on BB 10 devices is Android 4.3

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Yep - that is very frustrating! I just bought one of these ! can't connect ! OTG ect. everything's there - No connection!
I have the equivalent tascam now (p90sd) and it sounds pretty good, brighter, punchier, little less accurate and splashy up to, little more compressed and recessed bass. I finally managed to pair it with my Xperia 5ii and the Teac and the onkyo app both don't like it, they work but sounds God awful like something wrong (distortion and strange frequency response curves) . I switched to the USB Audio Player Pro and liked it so much I bought the extra EQ extension software. At bit perfect it sounds amazing and this app works because it bypasses the audio of the phone completely which the other players STRANGELY DO NOT (?!!??) despite being designed for this actual device (unbelievable, shows how destructive gibson incorporated was to these once great companies).
I had to use two OTG cables, Teac usb b micro to A female & USB A male to USB C phone.
When I get home I will fix my onkyo battery and try this method out.

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 10
Android Audio is a hit and miss. Have you tried pairing your DAC to other phones w/ the cables you have? To see if the DAC functions to other phones. Sometimes its the cable w/c is the culprit..

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm thinking that an all in one player is best generally as it is more focused 'music time' and less hassels. Just listen to the new song dap zx 707 I think it's called, had that song thing of not amazing but nothing sounds wrong at least... The interface was impressive though.
I listened to the A&k se150 at the same time, it was nice at first but then I felt it was a bit of a sonic mess with treble splashing everywhere and a lack of cohesion, for the price it was very overrated, I'd rather listen to a field recorder play back my music (like the old days).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back