New here .. and it has been interesting
Dec 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

edmscan

New Head-Fier
Ok ...

I have to be honest, I know very little about things but we all have to start somewhere.

First .. history.  I have an Ipod Gen 3 8 GB that has been my trusted DAP, mainly cause it is small and portable. I am into fitness activities so it worked.  Old school .. it is what people
bought 7 years ago.

However .. the time has some to kick things up a notch. I am interested in quality .. something better than the iPod sound and the performance from a 128 kbps MP3 file.

So .. I have no idea, but the first thing I noticed .. headphone amps. I know.. like what are they for ? Like .. never thought I needed one.  But I am interested in the concept.

Today .. bought a pair of Atomic Floyd MiniDarts ... I had no idea what to buy. I couldn't even listen to them.  So .. they have got to be better than my $20 ear buds I have now.

I have a feeling that they will not be my last pair .. :wink:

So I am looking for a new DAP ... and leaning towards a Fiio X3 (there is apparently a new model coming soon .. so I am waiting. I am on the fence between that and the X5)

That is about it for now .. looking forward to learn lots here.

- Kevin -

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 6
My advice is to upgrade your DAP *last* not first. If you want better sound, then upgrade your headphones first. If the headphones you select need an amp, then buy an amp. I would also start replacing your 128K mp3 files with 256K or 320K files. After you have done all that - then start worrying about the DAP.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for your advice .. and yes right now I do not have really very much higher quality music to listen to. So .. that will be my first thing.

I have heard about HD Tracks .. I think I will just buy something there to start with. I will look around to see about having something that I can
use to test my headphones.

Re the DAC .. well it is Christmas soon. That is a prime time for new toys. But I am leaning towards the new X3 when it comes out.

- Kevin -

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 6
You really don't need HD Tracks. Even Amazon uses variable bit rates that are the equivalent of 256 Kbps. That's really all you need. I have never heard of Atomic Floyd and know nothing about the Minidarts. They appear to be high sensitivity and low impedance, which means you will probably not need an amp.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 6
Atomic Floyd is a British company. Unfortunately I could not listen to them before buying them .. but I had a $20 pair of ear buds before them. So .. anything was an upgrade.

I am looking to buy a Fiio X3 or X5 soon but I am unsure which one would be best, right now I am leaning towards the X3. 
The reason is that most of my music is of poor quality .. and I don't know that I would notice the difference in the X5.

Eventually I will buy another pair of IEM's ... as really I mostly listen at the gym right now and do not need to go crazy. I don't think I would know good music if it slapped me. Besides I cannot hear anything over 12,000 Hz ... so why buy the super expensive ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back