New Hegel HD2
Feb 15, 2011 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

loopfreak

1000+ Head-Fier

Dac resolution: 24bit / 192 kHz multilevel sigma-delta DAC
0dBFS signal output: 1,25V RMS
Digital inputs: 1*USB soundcard
Digital outputs: Gold plated spdif coaxial digital out (RCA)
Line outputs: 1 pair of RCA unbalanced
Frequency response: 0 Hz to 50 KHz
Phase response: Linear Phase Analogue filter
Noise floor: Minus 120 dB
Distortion: Less than 0,005 %
Power supply: Power over USB
Dimensions/weight: 5cm * 9,8cm * 12 cm (H*W*D), 1 Kg

There is new usb hegel dac and price is around 260 euros. Its fairly priced dac but it has pretty good competition in budget sector.
Hegel HD10 has very fun organic sound with good sense of space and separation, so if HD2 has sound heritage of HD10 it could be pretty interesting.

There is a clip on youtube about HD2 but IMO its pretty uninformative and was a waste of my time.

There are some comparison made by Scandinavian magazine as well as French magazine and they rated HD2 pretty good

Bel Canto DAC 1,5:
"With the USB -input and RCA output I can't see that it is any better than the Hegel HD2 or Musical Fidelity"

Electrocompaniet PD-1:
"The Hegel HD2 is not far behind the Electrocompaniet. On USB it is actually better (and HD2 only has USB)"

HRT Music Streamer PRO:
"It does not match the sound of the significantly less expensive Hegel HD2"

Arcam rDAC:
"Anyway... It still has a long way to go to match the Hegel HD2. Especially in the bass, where the Arcam is slimmer"

Musical Fidelity vDAC:
"The Music sounds calmer, more restrained and open compared to the Arcam or HRT. But it does not quite reach the level of the Hegel HD2. Hegel has more ambience and space around the voices and instruments, as well as being quieter with a darker back drop."

Conclusion:
"Hegel HD2 is the best buy. We doubt that any better DAC's exist at this price."

Hegel HD2 wins Best Buy award in the leading French magazine Haute Fidelité's February issue. Buy the magazine or download the review in March.

So i'm wondering, are there any users of HD2 that could share their experience

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 30
That would be great. Most people get turned off, since it usb powerd. Think taht hegel knows how to make a quality dac even if it is usb powerd and not asynchronous, we'll see...

Looking forward to your impressions

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 30
The Legato and HD2 are clearly superior to the Hiface - better resolution and smoother sound (the hiface seems a little harsh in the highs). Between the Legato and the HD2, its a close call, with the Legato perhaps a tad better, but the difference is subtle. The HD2's DAC is not bad at all, by the way, so if you are looking for a cheap "all in one" solution, its a steal.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 30
Have esi juli@ and like neutrality of the esi akm based design. I would like to follow that path, so hd2 seams like interesting alternative. From your words it looks that new jitter reduction circuit from hegel with tenor usb gave promising results and I will definitely do a little test with my gear at local distributor, it will be available in a month or so.

Yes I'm looking for cheap alternative to esi but not sure is it better, will see but it seams that is worth a try.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes I'm looking for cheap alternative to esi but not sure is it better, will see but it seams that is worth a try.

But the HD-2 wouldnt be a cheap alternative to the ESI at least in Germany. I ve already asked for the HD-2 and it isnt available here. So, I have to buy it in the Switzerland for almost doubled price or in Sweden because my brother lives there at a reasonable price..

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 30
Yeah, your right I meant cheap upgrade.

That distributor is looking for easy money, typically new product hype. In my country hegel distributor has decent prices so far and I would not like to see overpriced product which is meant to be budget, crossed my fingers.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
The HD2's DAC is not bad at all, by the way, so if you are looking for a cheap "all in one" solution, its a steal.

Saw that you have clearly superior dac to HD2, anyway could you spare a few words about soundstage, neutrality and balance of the little Hegel. Are there any obvious lacks ?

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 30
As for its DAC, the HD2 is, as could be expected, not in the league of a DAC costing more than 3 times its price, but it has a pleasant sound. In a similar price range, the only DAC I've heard is the ARCAM rDAC, which outperforms it. So to summarize, I would say its strength resides as a transport, providing very good sound quality, in a small package without an external power supply. Think of the DAC as an added bonus.

P.S. the volume level of the analog out is significantly lower than full fledge DACs, so the volume has to be adjusted to do comparisons. I assume this is due to the fact that it is USB powered.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 30
@ hopkins

Thanks very much for your words. I already thought about getting a Hegel, but I think I will stick with my Arcam rDac as I also cannot imagine that it will outperform it, especially when it comes to USB !

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
As for its DAC, the HD2 is, as could be expected, not in the league of a DAC costing more than 3 times its price, but it has a pleasant sound. In a similar price range, the only DAC I've heard is the ARCAM rDAC, which outperforms it. So to summarize, I would say its strength resides as a transport, providing very good sound quality, in a small package without an external power supply. Think of the DAC as an added bonus.

P.S. the volume level of the analog out is significantly lower than full fledge DACs, so the volume has to be adjusted to do comparisons. I assume this is due to the fact that it is USB powered.

Yeah you right it seams that his main thing is transport, I hoped that is better than arcam rdac since Ive read a review and hd2 came as winner but it was Norwegian magazine after all. Still hd2 looks like a good package for transport and upgrade from integrated solutions probably for laptop mainstream users, what they have said on their site.

Know for the lower output and originally thought that is not a problem since my Lake People G100 has plenty of power.

Thanks

May 7, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
Have esi juli@ and like neutrality of the esi akm based design. I would like to follow that path, so hd2 seams like interesting alternative. From your words it looks that new jitter reduction circuit from hegel with tenor usb gave promising results and I will definitely do a little test with my gear at local distributor, it will be available in a month or so.

Does anybody know if the Hegel HD2 is using the Tenor chip for USB transport like the DI does?

May 7, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 30
Dont now what do you think by "DI" but anyway, read the review only and reviewer said that hegel hd 2 has upgraded hd 10 tenor chip usb transport not being too specific.
I am still waiting distributor to get it and probably will audition arcam r dac and hegel hd2, just to see what is going on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back