New headset for listening to metal
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stavrosrhcp

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been searching for a new headset during the last few days.This is my first time seriously searching for a quality headset so it took a while(and i've not yet made a decision). I mostly want to use them to listen to metal music,especially symphonic metal. What concerns me the most is that symphonic metal has a lot of details because there are many instruments playing at the same time (guitars,drums,bass,orchestra etc). I want to be able to hear clearly if not all,most of the details. 

I have come across two headsets that interest me the most: Sony's MDR-V55 and SteelSeries' Siberia V2. Both have positive reviews on amazon, even though i am not sure how much this matters :p What do you think about them?

My budget is ~ 70 euros ,but if something makes a big quality difference i could increase it to 80.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) 

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm not familiar with those Steelseries, but gaming headsets are not well known for audio quality for music here on Head-Fi.

I don't really know prices in europe, but maybe Takstar Pro 80 or some of the the other Takstar or Gemini headphones would be in your budget range? http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 14
+1 Takstar Pro 80 (or Gemini HSR-1000 - same headphones)

You should also consider Creative Aurvana Live.

Best Luck!

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 14
Thnx a lot for the replies :)

Unfortunately, no Gemini or Takstar headphones are available in Greece. The Creative one is available and it costs 80 euros.It's a little expensive, but i might buy it... 

Any other recommendations? :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 14
After hours of searching,i've found 4 headphones .The 4th one is expensive,so i would like to know which one of the following 3 is better:
Creative Aurvana Live!, Denon DN-HP500 or Audio Technica ATH-M40fs ? I've read about these on both this site and other ones, and they seem equally good and they cost the same. One thing i've noticed is that the CAL's frequency range is 10-30 KHz, the Denon's is 10-28 KHz and the Audio Technica's is 5-28 KHz. Does it mean that the ATH-M40fs can produce more notes?I am a newbie and I don't want my choice to be based on luck so can you help me choose?

The 4th ones are the M50s that seem the be pretty popular on this site. But the question is ,are they worth the extra 60 euros?

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 14
I wouldn't worry about those frequency response specs. Those are "claimed" and who knows what the actual usable response is.

I have the M50s. They are good headphones. I don't know if you would like them better than the others. :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks again for the answer... but i still can't choose xD

Are the M50s "just good" headphones? I mean,they are definitely good,but for the extra money i'd expect something better than "just good". Have you encountered any problems with them?

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 14
Check out this Innerfidelity Wall of Fame list. The M50s are on it: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

No. I haven't had any problems with the M50s.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 14
Sometimes, the right pick is down to preference. Both M50s and CALs are good headphones but also different. M50s probably have more bass. Some people like them more, some don't. Buying headphones (or speakers) is often not so simple and that is why most of us have more than one headphone. Paying 3 times the price doesn't mean you'll get 3 times better sound quality, and you could also find yourself enjoying the least expensive more.

If you can try them, that would be great. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with any of this 2 headphones. (M50s & CALs)

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 14
you may also want to take a look at the JVC S680 i use these for lisning to metal and too me are fantastic lots of detail i can pick out individual insturments and both highs and vocals are good. maybe a little bassy for some but i really like it think the cost about $70 shipped from japan well worth it. there is quite a big thread here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690493/the-jvc-ha-s680-s400s-and-s500s-big-brother-is-here

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 14
After hours and hours of searching I've decided that i'll get the CALs (hopefully tomorrow) and i'll probably order either the JVC or the Takstar ones(possibly the one that is stronger in the specs that the CAL isn't,but i won't search for that atm
smily_headphones1.gif
 ) mentioned above few weeks from now :)
Thank you all again for the answers!! :) Much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back