New HeadRoom Micro Stack Arrived...
Jun 9, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
Well, I hooked everything up, popped in the new Rippington's CD and...

...my mind is blown. This sound is much too sweet to be coming from all this little stuff. From what I had heard from others that had a chance to preview these units courtesy of the new HeadRoom tour, I had a feeling I would be in for a treat. However, I must say that what I'm hearing now is beyond my wildest expectations.

Of course, you are aware, Rick, that enthusiastic statements like that wreak havoc on my wallet, particularly now that I'm off the wagon. I would have much preferred something to the effect, "These things are terrible."
In the future, a little fib would be helpful......or maybe just a big, fat lie.
Congratulations anyway.
frown.gif
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #17 of 148
What type is the optical in on the DAC? Is it a mini? I asked Tyll but he was as helpful as the manual (no reponse
tongue.gif
)

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #18 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I would have much preferred something to the effect, "These things are terrible."
In the future, a little fib would be helpful......or maybe just a big, fat lie.
Congratulations anyway.
frown.gif
wink.gif

Ok. These things are terribly...fine!
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
What type is the optical in on the DAC? Is it a mini? I asked Tyll but he was as helpful as the manual (no reponse
tongue.gif
)

It has a mini and USB . There's a switch for Optical/Coax/USB.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #19 of 148
Quote:

It has a mini and USB . There's a switch for Optical/Coax/USB.

I'm really looking forward to getting to hear the DAC at the NYC and MD meets. It will be interesting to stack it up against my current setup which is pretty decent. I'm really rooting for the DAC!

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #20 of 148
By an amazing coincidence, I just got my Micro DAC/Amp stack today (with Desktop Module in the amp). My primary use is for the computer, which has been frustratingly under-served in the audio department. It's insane that I have all my music stored losslessly on the hard drive, but had no way of getting at it other than with Klipsch computer speakers (which are great for computer speakers, but pretty lousy on an absolute scale) and a sound card that emits a charming high-pitched tone picked up via interference from something else in the case.

My plan with the Micro stuff is to use the DAC (either via the optical out on the soundcard, if I get around to getting the cable I need for that, or via the USB that I have it set up with right now) to extract a digital signal from the computer, and then plug in either the Klipsches (for when I want to use speakers) or the Amp (when I want to use headphones).

Hooking up the DAC via USB worked seamlessly and instantly, which is nice. The sound quality is so far unimpeachable. I can't do a serious comparative review here as I've never listened to other headphone amps, but it does what it's supposed to do. The sound is crisp and clear, with no hiss other than that present in the original source material, and it's capable of driving my HD650 phones effortlessly at volumes louder than I'd want to listen.

In terms of comparisons I can make, I think that using the Micro DAC/Amp combo sounds better -- more detailed, but not in a harsh way (as if it's possible to get harsh on the HD650...), and with more controlled bass -- than the headphone out on my Parasound P/LD-2000 (an ~$1500 two-channel preamp, albeit from most of a decade ago) being driven by a Slim Devices Squeezebox, playing the same lossless files. Like most comparisons of electronics, though, it's a moderately subtle difference, not the night-and-day difference that you get with speakers or headphones; and I don't trust myself when making sighted comparisons, so take that for what it's worth.

The cross-feed is a nice fix for those studio-manipulated recordings where sounds ping-pong between channels, which have always driven me mad. But there's a noticeable change in tone (the mid-bass gets more emphasis) when the cross-feed is switched on, so for normal classical listening, I suspect I'll leave it off.

The packaging and devices are very professional and slick -- moreso than I was expecting, actually, with a well-designed, full-color printed manual and boxes with logos. (That sounds petty, I know, but I really deeply care about aesthetics. That the HeadRoom products have this elegant lightly-curved look with attractive logo and fontwork is a significant plus to me. If I were to buy something like the SuperMacro-3, I'd die a little on the inside every time I looked at it. Your obsessiveness may vary.) The build quality of the units is great, and the power supplies are far more impressive than I would have guessed -- they come with truly enormous bricks.

On the caveat side, I really wish they'd've included the appropriate cables. As it happens, I can repurpose a USB cable to connect to the DAC, and I have (bizarrely, a relic from an old sound card) a short, stout mini-to-mini plug to connect the DAC to the Amp -- but if I didn't, I'd be a bit cheesed at having to run down to Best Buy to blow $20 on stupid little cables. I can't believe it'd cost HeadRoom much of anything to throw in a few cables, and it'd make for a much more pleasant out-of-box experience than trying to rustle up the appropriate connectors.

Also on the caveat side is that hooking up my Dell DJ30 to the line-in on the Amp gives a nasty low-frequency hum and the sound doesn't really come out at all. It sounds creepily destructive, and I didn't leave it connected like that for longer than I had to. I have to believe this is Dell's fault, though, as it happens even when the player is off, and there's no such problem using either the line-out or headphone out on my wife's iRiver H340. (Any ideas on this, anyone? The Dell works wonderfully when hooked up to headphones, so why would it start making weird electrical noises when hooked up to an amp?)

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #21 of 148
I enjoyed reading your comments, mkozlows. I also agree with you on the crossfeed. I have a Cosmic and a couple of AirHeads so I'm familiar with the effect it has on the sound. I'm pretty selective about which recordings I apply it to.

You know, the box was so heavy that I thought for sure they had thrown in a HeadRoom coffee mug or two...but alas, it was those beefy power supplies!

wink.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #22 of 148
I really wish I had the loot to have ordered a Micro DAC at the same time as the Micro Amp.

Anyway, mine is on the way, and hopefully I get it tomorrow.

I've only ordered one thing from Headroom before, but they are really fast at getting your stuff to you!

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #23 of 148
So I have to say, the more I listen to this stuff (and I've been listening to it non-stop since early this evening), the more I like it. I've been a bit waffly on the HD650 before, unsure as to whether it had too much bass or not. Well, through the HeadRoom amp, the waffling is decisively resolved in favor of the headphones: They don't lose bass extension, but they're definitely much tighter and less sloppy than I'd previously thought. Excellent.

Also getting a second life: The Klipsch 2.1 speakers on my computer. They're still not great, but coming from the Micro DAC, they're a zillion times better than they were coming from the (absolutely terrible) sound card in my computer.

The only downside now is that I'd been using my portable player as a source of bedside music, and that clearly just Will Not Do any longer. I'm thinking maybe a Squeezebox 2 with the digital out to a HeadRoom Desktop Amp on the night table. And hmm, those Max modules are awfully interesting looking, and oh dear, my poor wallet.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #24 of 148
The more I read the more tempted I become. I, too, have a desktop with lossless files just not being used and considering the amount of time I'm at the computer, it seems such a waste.

So how much does this setup run? The amp is $299 as is the DAC but I didn't see the pricing on the desktop module. Is there a "package" price? I'm guessing it's gonna hurt just a wee bit isn't it?? Hey, do I get a discount on this new stuff for being a contributor here? That would be great!!!

Now I got to get me some cables to boot! I agree with the other poster. Headroom should toss us a bone with the cables. That's a real annoyance.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #25 of 148
Ken, there's no extra charge for the desktop module. In order to receive the Head-Fi discount, simply note your screen name in the comments section of the online order. They will look it up to verify that you are a contributing member. The discount is then reflected on your final invoice.

Currently, there is no "package price" that I'm aware of.

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #26 of 148
Got my Micro Amp yesterday and wanted to wait before posting.

But I can't!

Sound is spectacular. Black backgrounds, great soundstage, couldn't be happier. In fact I hear things that I've never heard on my big rig ("big rig" is Levinson and B&W, portable is Rio Karma, Sennheiser 600 w/Cardas cable and Grado Mini Adaptor Cable). My concern was with the power cord. Mine does not fit well (i.e. it's very loose and comes unplugged very easily). I just got off the phone w/HeadRoom and explained the situation to them. Didn't really want to ship it back and be without the amp but you gotta' do what you gotta' do. Turns out I don't have to be without for any time. As soon as they have one with a Desktop Module they'll send it to me with a return label for mine.
eggosmile.gif

Not only does HeadRoom have a killer product but they have fantastic customer service. Couldn't recommend this amp and the company more highly.

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #27 of 148
Quote:

Ken, there's no extra charge for the desktop module. In order to receive the Head-Fi discount, simply note your screen name in the comments section of the online order. They will look it up to verify that you are a contributing member. The discount is then reflected on your final invoice.

Currently, there is no "package price" that I'm aware of.

Thanks! If only they took Paypal!!

Curious, have you had the opportunity to hear the SR-71 for a comparison? Also, why didn't you go for the Desktop Portable with the DAC option instead of this the micro line? The size is right although not as portable as the micro. Just curious as the price is same anyway.

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #29 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
I think we're set up now. Talk to mario@headphone.com for assistance.

Thanks,
Jamey

I sent an email but I think the addy was "sales@headphone.com".

That would be great if you are taking it!! Uh-oh...that was my last excuse! Guess I should be careful what I ask for!!
eek.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #30 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Curious, have you had the opportunity to hear the SR-71 for a comparison?

Earlier in this same thread.

Quote:

Also, why didn't you go for the Desktop Portable with the DAC option instead of this the micro line? The size is right although not as portable as the micro. Just curious as the price is same anyway.

While I'll use the rig at home some, I'll be primarily taking it with me when I travel. The Micro line was perfect for my needs.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back