New headphones
Jun 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

haarism

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm 16 years old and I finally got a job, and the first purchases I have in mind are an ipod classic 160 gigs and a new set of headphones

I'm pretty new to the whole thing to be honest, like  i understand the basic differences between open and closed headphones and what not, but im pretty confused still as to what to purchase.

I live in mississauga, ontario, canada, so pretty much the only store available to me is Canada comptuers, futuresho, best buy, and those other major retailers, and right now im looking at either the sennheiser HD 280 PRO ( http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_222&item_id=025829 ) the sennheiser Hd 515 ( http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_222&item_id=022034 ) or the sennheiser HD 448 (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_222&item_id=031013) and these Shure SRH750DJs have recently come on sale too http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/shure-shure-headband-headphones-srh750dj-srh750dj/10141945.aspx?path=15cbe65325412ecd549ef7a8baa0a769en02&lid=fp-10141945-shureshureheadbandheadphonessr-en

So if anyone could provide a little insight as to what they think would be good. Im open to pretty much any ideas

if it helps I listen to mostly classic rock and oldies, indie and regular rock, metal and have been recently getting into classical and jazz. I also enjo a little underground rap and the old rap and hip hop and whatnot that was good

just throwing it out there that I dont want to spend too much more than 150 on headphones

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 18
So first of all, do you need to have closed headphones or are open ones fine?

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 18
to be honest im not quite sure, they both sound appealing ot be honest, like music is my escape from the world, so closed sounds nice, but i do enjoy quality, so open sounds nice in that sense, though what do you recommend?

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 18
First off - welcome. This may be the most expensive post you've ever made. Your source will be an iPod for now (upgrades likely later) so you need something easy to drive. You seem to mention a bunch of Sennheisers - probably because you've heard a lot about them. I've owned a few (incl PX100s, HD 280s, HD570s, HD 595s) - ultimately they weren't my cup of tea but they are for many (and I have not owned high end ones but may someday).

My advice - figure out not only what type of music you like but what sound signature you favor - i.e....

Do you like highs, guitars, the ting of a cymbal or the snap of an acoustic guitar - Grados are nice for that (sr60 or sr80)
Do you like chest thumping bass, powerful lows plus really nice highs - Denons are great (1001ks might be a good start)
Do you favor Mids, enjoy vocals and horns, strings etc. - AKGs are outstanding (k271s are closed and a huge favorite of mine)
Sennheisers - PX100s or HD238s are pretty portable and easy to drive - plus sound great and would give you an intro to the Sennheiser sound to see if you dig that...

My advice - just because you can spend $150 on some phones - don't until you know what sound you like then get the next step in that brand. This is all just my opinion - but I know I spent a ton of dough on things that are now gone before I knew what I really liked. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 18
Meaning headphones that you don't need a separate headphone amp to really get the best out of them - an ipod just doesn't have the juice/power/internal electronics (whatever you want to call it) to allow you to hear what more high end/expensive sets of phones sound like at their best. It doesn't mean it won't sound good/great to you - but someday you'll want an amp. Most of the ones I mentioned are phones that can be listened to without a headphone amp and will sound great for the most part. 

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 18
so i was thinking about it and i realize i enjoy my music with the vocals being stronger than instrumentals and hearing the guitar ( probably cuz i play) and I was never really a big fan of bass but im starting to like it a lot more

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 18
Add your local Long & McQuade to your list of places you can shop.  They have some great deals on headphones that are hard to find elsewhere in Canada, and brands that aren't in the big box stores.

That said, the Future Shop sale is a darn good price for the 750DJ, if they compare to the 840s as well as I've heard.  You'll get a solid amount of bass without sacrificing the mids/vocal quality.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 18
lol i jsut realized long and mquade

i go there often for gutiar stuff btu ive neverthought of headphones

thanks man

but anyone have something to say about the 750dj?

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 18
the 750 djs are excellent cans.  They play every genre very well and have the best bass experience sub 150$ ( may be bumped out of first as soon as i review the ath ws70 )

but they are great, i had no gripes about them except the earpads which were stiff, but still comfy.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 18
Look around; there are plenty of reviews and impressions on the SRH750DJ. Most are positive, but check to be sure they suit your needs.

I'm not convinced an iPod will be your best choice though. Do you really have that much music that you listen to all the time? If not, you can save some money by buying a smaller flash memory player. I've heard great things about Sandisk's players, most of which can be expanded with a microSD card if you need more storage.

And, whatever you decide to get in the end, do leave your impressions too!

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 18
believe it or not 

i had like 100 something gigs of music but after a sad computer crash i lost all of it and after a few months ive rebuilt the collection 70 gigs of it at least

and i listen to ALL of it

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 18
Ah, I see. Sadly there aren't any decent alternative hard drive players around anymore.

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #15 of 18
Did Archos and Zune stop making players???

Quote:
yea its pretty dissapointing that an ipod, not all that great in my opinion, is pretty much the only large space mp3 player around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back