New headphones
Sep 20, 2009 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dspang

100+ Head-Fier
I have about 200-300 dollars coming to me here soon and am thinking about getting me a new set of cans. I'm currently addicted to the Jvc Rx700 as a closed can. I would definitely love to get me an open set of cans. I listen to metal, punk, hardcore, metalcore, deathcore, grind, other forms of extreme music. The source will mainly be my pc or the headphone output of a Harmon Kardon stereo receiver(very flat sounding). I'm looking for something with a bit of the punchy bass because double kicks are always nice to hear in metal. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm also considering getting an amp(portable) for the jvc's. Does anyone have any knowledge of how well the jvcs scale with an amp?

Thank you o' great gods of the headphone.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GRADOs, bro.

Mm hm! And aim for the SR225(i), at least. The 325i(s) is a love/hate kind of 'phone in the Grado line.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mm hm! And aim for the SR225(i), at least. The 325i(s) is a love/hate kind of 'phone in the Grado line.

Agreed absolutely. The 225s treat Metal (--of all kind and quality) very, very well.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Hmmm. Sounds like an open and shut case for me then. I think I might make the jump. This will be the most I've spent on headphones so far. Can't wait to hear these babies. Thanks guys.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dspang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm. Sounds like an open and shut case for me then. I think I might make the jump. This will be the most I've spent on headphones so far. Can't wait to hear these babies. Thanks guys.

Buying used on the forums always helps.
beerchug.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying used on the forums always helps.
beerchug.gif

Agreed; Grados need burn in, and if this is your biggest spend to date, un-burned in headphones can be a real nasty surprise. Used headphones have already been burnt in, mostly, so you may very well find it a more satisfying 'first listen'.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 13
Not to mention there are two pairs for sale right now and for about ten to fifteen percent less than they go for new. Thanks for the tips guys.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 13
Quick question. Do the grado sr 225 have a similar sound to the koss ksc75. I know its and apples to oranges comparison. But do these have the nice highs that sparkle like the ksc75? That's that particular quality of the ksc75's I love.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Quick question. Do the grado sr 225 have a similar sound to the koss ksc75. I know its and apples to oranges comparison. But do these have the nice highs that sparkle like the ksc75? That's that particular quality of the ksc75's I love.

Grados are renowned for their highs & their detail. I think you'll be very pleased with 225s.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Beautiful. Thanks for the help guys. the journey into headaphilia is so addictive.

I know, right? It's like opiates!
wink.gif

Enjoy your Grados!

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, right? It's like opiates!
wink.gif

Enjoy your Grados!

x2
Enjoy them mate, they are king with metal.
My SR325is are 2 weeks old and they are great!

Welcome to head-fi and eh..., sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back