New headphones.
Apr 29, 2007 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

kondor-11

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I've recently decided that I'm becoming and Audiophile. Cheap walmart headphones and low bit-rate files aren't cutting it anymore. So, I'm looking for a step up, starting with new headphones.

My price range is around 50-100 USD.

I listen to classical, alternative, rock, vocal-heavy (i.e. opera, plays, etc.), podcasts, audio books, and basically everything else besides rap. Clarity is important. Bass is nice, but I'm not into vibrating my skull into pieces, so as long as the bass is sufficient I'm good with it.

I've been doing some research. Initially it looked like Grado SR60s or SR80s would be the best choice for me. As I read more some people seem to think they are over-rated. I'm interested in possibly getting closed style, but I will be using them mostly at work and that might be a bad idea if my boss is trying to talk to me (me =
600smile.gif
boss =
mad.gif
). I will also be using them mobile with my PDA. So in the end I just want the best quality. My price is a little flexible if there is something much better for not too much more cash.

Also, should I get an amp? I'm new to all this and still trying to learn all the ins and outs. Help me get started!

Thanks.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 38
I'm a little confused. Do you want closed or open?

Open gives you the Alessandro MS1, which is more versatile and not as picky with classical as the SR60.

If you want something closed will sound good to your music types, spend $120 and get the Audio Technica ATHA500. It excels in your music choices and they are really something you will love.

Below $100 nothing I can think of that does rock and classical well and is closed. eH250 does well with classical but never rock.

And, welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 38
A recent thread persuaded me to order an Alessandro MS-1, which will be happening in a few days. BTW, the MS-1 is an alternate version of the Grado SR-125, tuned to have a more accurate and less "colored" sound signature, making it a better all-around headphone (as opposed to the typical Grado, which is great for rock, less great for other genres). It's a great deal at $99 shipped from Alessandro's website, as opposed to ~$150 for the SR-125.

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 38
Thanks for the quick replies, I'm looking into all your suggestions.

I would probably prefer closed personally, but I think I better go with open to avoid people having to scream at me to get my attention. So I guess that the popular vote in that case would be MS-1s so far then?

feh1325, where's a good place to start with improving file quality?

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 38
I would suggest that you hold and and save up. Then get the k 701s!
280smile.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kondor-11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would probably prefer closed personally, but I think I better go with open to avoid people having to scream at me to get my attention. So I guess that the popular vote in that case would be MS-1s so far then?

I would start by ripping all your CD's as flac files (or 320 VBR MP3 if you want smaller files that are accepted by devices more readily.) I would suggest ripping your CD's through a free, high-quality ripper such as EAC (or Max for OS X). Also, don't re-encode your music if it's already in a lossy codec (aac, ogg, mp3), because doing so will add artifacts to the audio.

**These are just suggestions; if you can't tell the difference between a 64kb mp3 file and a wav file, then more power to you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kondor-11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

reripping all your files
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reripping all your files
frown.gif

Kondor is currently using "cheap walmart headphones"... why bother re-ripping if the phones are too crap to hear the difference? Why not get a decent pair first, then experiment with file quality from there?

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
**These are just suggestions; if you can't tell the difference between a 64kb mp3 file and a wav file, then more power to you!
smily_headphones1.gif

if you cant hear the difference between 64kbs and a wav file thats like 100000 times more space for songs!!!

that can be a good thing and a bad thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by zle83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest that you hold and and save up. Then get the k 701s!
280smile.gif

If you can afford the K701s, I suggest you get the MS-2is
rs1smile.gif

Seriously, MS-1s are a good choice.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by umcloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kondor is currently using "cheap walmart headphones"... why bother re-ripping if the phones are too crap to hear the difference? Why not get a decent pair first, then experiment with file quality from there?

might as well see what the walphones can do. he's gonna have to rerip sooner or later

Apr 29, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #14 of 38
MS1's for great open type cans. Closed bassy type, AKG K81DJ. Value/cheep open type Koss KSC75, or Senn PX100.

Good closed cans, IMHO, Sony MDR-V6, also get beyer DT250 pads for comfort. But the V6's have a long heavy coiled cord, not good for portable use.

re-rip your music with EAC & LAME (-V2 setting) or FLAC for lossless.

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first, get higher quality files
then you can worry about your gear

x2
after getting higher quality files, get an alessandro ms-1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back