New Headphones Suggestions
Jun 1, 2007 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

spaceace76

New Head-Fier
Since my old Sony headphones are wearing out, (I believe they're a pair of MDRG58V) I've decided it's time for something much much nicer, and I need some help tracking down a decent pair. I'm looking for something that goes behind the neck, has volume control, and mostly effective noise cancelling. I saw Sony's noise cancelling version of my old pair but they appear to suck worse than my old ones.

The noise cancelling itself doesn't have to be spectacular since I like my music loud anyway, and sound quality is (obvously) key. I've also been looking into canal style phones lately and they seem like a great alternative to what I had in mind, so if anyone has any ideas on that, I'd love to hear 'em. Lastly, I don't have the budget for Shure E500's or the like, about $100 is my limit.

Just a bit about what I use my headphones for:
Music-
Classic Rock/Weird Jazz/Even Weirder Funk
Environments-
Mowing the lawn, public transportation, walking, airplanes
Player-
5G 30GB iPod (No cash for iMods...)

Thanks for any help you can give

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 11
There are so many more options if you dont buy a behind the kneck...

I would recommend the ksc-55, I Believe it has the Koss titanium plated diaphragm while being in a behind the kneck format. It is supposed to be a little darker than the ksc-75

beware though, according to reviews, they are uncomfortable and they have almost no isolation.

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm checking around the site and I'm convincing myself of IEM's over behind the neck by a wide margin. The only reason I kept my iBuds were because they're really portable, and my school goes nuts on people listening to music (but not the smokers who hang out by the stairs? go figure...) so more portable means easier to hide and less likely to get caught. But, that would still be true with any IEM so my behind the neck idea is pretty moot at this point, especially since, properly sealed, an IEM wouldnt really need noise cancelling anyway. With that said, what are my options for canals $100 and under?

Besides all that, I must say I find this site really intruiging. Apparently I've been an audiophile for years and never really knew it. See, I play guitar and I have an extremely discriminating ear for tone. I can listen to anything and pick out the brand of guitar, amp, and pedals (or effect) even settings or possible studio tricks. Because of all that, I'm endeavoring to form the perfect setup that will satisfy my ears. Unfortunately, that means I probably won't be able to get some decent cans for a long while, it seems like audio is expensive in any form...

Anyway, I say right on to you headfi patrons and I hope I can be very active in the site.

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceace76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The noise cancelling itself doesn't have to be spectacular since I like my music loud

turn the volume down
like...a lot

Jun 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceace76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you mean?

if your music is drowning out your surrounds, you're listening to your music wayy too loudly

Jun 4, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if your music is drowning out your surrounds, you're listening to your music wayy too loudly

WHAT??!?!

Seriously, tho...I can hear more than most of my friends and family can. I guess I have fairly sensitive ears, but I still have to crank my KSCs up all the way. Prolly 'cause they're open and some sound leaks?? I just enjoy hearing all details of the music... which usually entails me canceling out my surroundings with music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back