New headphones recommendations
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

audionut117

New Head-Fier
Hi guys 

I am looking for a new pair of portable over ear closed headphones around $300AUS/USD. I listen to mainly Metal and rock with the occasional classical.
I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums and have made the following list of possible choices

PSB M4U1
Sony MDR-1R
Focal Spirit One
Beyerdynamic Custom One pro

I'm currently leaning towards the PSB's or the Sony's. Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 15
Sony has the least bass - quite mid-centric but very comfortable.
PSB has excellent sound and isolation but is quite big and heavy.
Focal is the bassiest, but sould still be OK for your genres. 

Havn't heard COP

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 15
That comes down more to taste. Depends how much bass you want/need.

Some metal like old Metallica recordings need a bit more bass, so the PSB would work well with that.
Then a lot of more modern mainstream metal recordings like Evanescence have almost thunderous bass, so the Sony would emphasise the guitars/vocals nicely if that's what you'd prefer. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 15
Hello,

I have tried the first three headphones you mentioned and here's how I rank them in terms of SQ;
PSB M4U1 > Sony MDR-1R > FSO

As for comfort, all three are comfortable. In terms of build quality... I think the FSO takes the lead. PSB M4U1 are mostly plastic, MDR-1R have this jack rattle issue. Not sure if it's fixed

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 15
Hello,

I have tried the first three headphones you mentioned and here's how I rank them in terms of SQ;
PSB M4U1 > Sony MDR-1R > FSO

As for comfort, all three are comfortable. In terms of build quality... I think the FSO takes the lead. PSB M4U1 are mostly plastic, MDR-1R have this jack rattle issue. Not sure if it's fixed

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you tell me if the hinges on the PSB's metal or painted plastic?

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 15
If I may, I suggest the Mrspeakers Mad Dog 3.2 planar magnetic headphone which is said to be the best value for the price though it would be its best with better amps. It's $299. Normally I'd suggest the Sennheiser Momentum as I absolutely love the darker tonality however for your music preferences, these might sound slow or congested.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #12 of 15
The Mad Dogs however need at least a basic amplifier to properly enjoy them, otherwise there's no point buying them.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #13 of 15
  The Mad Dogs however need at least a basic amplifier to properly enjoy them, otherwise there's no point buying them.

I agree that an amplifier is necessary to properly enjoy them but they're rather sensitive for a planar. An iPod or a smartphone will bring them up to listening volume… just not with a truly quality sound.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #14 of 15
  I agree that an amplifier is necessary to properly enjoy them but they're rather sensitive for a planar. An iPod or a smartphone will bring them up to listening volume… just not with a truly quality sound.

Agreed, but to get to sort of loud listening levels, you need to put an ipod classic (for example) to full volume, so expect battery life to suffer a little.

Another benefit is that the Mad Dog is the only one that doubles up VERY nicely as a home-headphone, if you can put up with the size and looks - because it pales beside the other suggestions in aesthetics, fashion and portability.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 15
  Agreed, but to get to sort of loud listening levels, you need to put an ipod classic (for example) to full volume, so expect battery life to suffer a little.

Another benefit is that the Mad Dog is the only one that doubles up VERY nicely as a home-headphone, if you can put up with the size and looks - because it pales beside the other suggestions in aesthetics, fashion and portability.

I love the rugged, unrefined, not so pleasant look. I think it makes the wearer more attractive.  
floatsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back