new headphones recommendations
Dec 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shaggy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, newbie wannabe audiophile here. I recently received a 160gb ipod classic for xmas, and I'm looking for something nice to complement my ever expanding music collection. I would appreciate some recommendations for a pair of closed cans in the $200~300 price range. My taste in music is very diverse and I am searching for headphones that offer rich, clear sound and don't have overpowering bass. That said, I am accustomed to listening to decent earbuds, such as the v-moda vibe dous. I also would like some 'phones that are durable and have a detachable cable, so my investment would last and I would not be sol if the wires were damaged.

I dont know any thing about amps or cableing, so I'm just trying to figure out the basics right now.

after searching around for a little, I've come up with a few possibilities:

Ultrasone HFI 780
PRO 750 (expensive)
Audio technica ATH M50
Shure SRH840
AKG K271 MKII
German Maestro GMP 8.35 D

I'm hoping you headfiers would be able to offer further suggestions and opinions

thanks and happy holidays!
atsmile.gif

*edit - also wouldn't mind knowing some good places to purchase these headphones, considering price, return policy, warranty, and such . . .

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll need to try the 271MKll and see if you like bass.

unfourtunately I dont have any audiofile stores in my area

btw, does the 271MKll sound good with ipod/laptop by itself or does it require an amp or other gear?

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 5
You might be able to get by without one, I am not sure, but they do seem to be lacking sensitivity based on the specs, so your best bet is probably to get an amplifier.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might be able to get by without one, I am not sure, but they do seem to be lacking sensitivity based on the specs, so your best bet is probably to get an amplifier.

How about the Pro 750s? do they sound good with an ipod, or is an amp a necessity?

Also how do the ATH M50s compare to the SRH840?

I don't like the cord sticking out on the Shures, its almost asking to be damaged, but the ATH M50s dont have a detachable cable
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back