New headphones recommendations for a starter
Mar 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shmueltz

New Head-Fier
Hi im am kinda new to this and dont have alot of experience and need your help choosing my next pair of headphones.
Up until now i used my sennheiser mm450-x but my eyes opened when I listened to my friend's oppo pm-3
My budget is 300$ max(with amp if needed)
My usage will be a little on public transportation and in the office,maybe even my pc
Right now i found myself choosing between the akg k7xx and the v-moda m100

I mainly listen to rock,pop,instrumental,dubstep amd edm

I would love to hear your opinions on my picks and your recommendations even on different headphones if you have something in mind that you think will fit me better:)

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi im am kinda new to this and dont have alot of experience and need your help choosing my next pair of headphones.
Up until now i used my sennheiser mm450-x but my eyes opened when I listened to my friend's oppo pm-3
My usage will be a little on public transportation and in the office,maybe even my pc

I would love to hear your opinions on my picks and your recommendations even on different headphones if you have something in mind that you think will fit me better:)

Are you sure you want an open headphone for use on public transportation and your office? The headphone will leak sound both in and, more importantly, out, so others will be able to hear your music (the K7xx is an open headphone).

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 13
  Are you sure you want an open headphone for use on public transportation and your office? The headphone will leak sound both in and, more importantly, out, so others will be able to hear your music (the K7xx is an open headphone).

Pretty much gospel right here...Open backed HPs for public use is a disaster waiting to happen....

My advice is get a nice pair of open backed for home and a closed back or IEMs for public,your wallet might hate you,but your ears will love you.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 13
I dont have enough money for 2 kinda of headphones rn so i will go for closed portable headphones rn
For just the headphones i have a 250$ budget
Are the vmoda m100 good for the genres of music i listen to or do you have something in mind that could fit me better?

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 13
I dont have enough money for 2 kinda of headphones rn so i will go for closed portable headphones rn
For just the headphones i have a 250$ budget
Are the vmoda m100 good for the genres of music i listen to or do you have something in mind that could fit me better?

Yes, the M100 is a good option for your styles of music. You could also consider ATH-M50X (v-shaped), AKG K545, and SoundMAGIC HP150. If you can slightly stretch your budget, you could get into a MEZE 99 Classics (not for the outdoors due to wood construction) or an Oppo PM-3 (orthodynamic). Both also very nice options for you. Lastly, there is the Momentum 2.0 possibility. It is a good portable option for you as well. Some thoughts for you. You might read about these and see what you think.

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 13
DT770 has pretty good bass impact,but...and this is a big but..it also has a lot of treble...peaky,horribly bright,treble.

I would suggest most any other HP before the DT770,but,as always,YMMV.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 13

If you'll use it out there in public transportation, the street, etc, totally cross the K7XX off your list. It's an open back design that basically just has a screen to prevent foreign objects from stabbing the drivers. You're going to hear as much of the train and the crowd, if not more, than the music you're trying to listen to. You can crank it up, but the problem there is that 1) the K7-- series is less efficient than, say, the T5P, and 2) even if you can it won't be linear. By the point where the midrange is audible to you, the bass - already not flat down to 20hz - will still be struggling to get past the ambient noise.

The M100 or practically any similar enough (ie, maybe less bass, but clamps tightly enough around the ears) closed back headphone can work well enough. The better choice though are In-Ear Monitors. They'll keep out more noise and on top of which require less power to operate, making them easier to use with just about anything. The only problem you might encounter is the output impedance on some of the things you might plug them into, like your motherboard or soundcard, since many IEMs are well below 32ohms impedance.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 13
If you'll use it out there in public transportation, the street, etc, totally cross the K7XX off your list. It's an open back design that basically just has a screen to prevent foreign objects from stabbing the drivers. You're going to hear as much of the train and the crowd, if not more, than the music you're trying to listen to. You can crank it up, but the problem there is that 1) the K7-- series is less efficient than, say, the T5P, and 2) even if you can it won't be linear. By the point where the midrange is audible to you, the bass - already not flat down to 20hz - will still be struggling to get past the ambient noise.

The M100 or practically any similar enough (ie, maybe less bass, but clamps tightly enough around the ears) closed back headphone can work well enough. The better choice though are In-Ear Monitors. They'll keep out more noise and on top of which require less power to operate, making them easier to use with just about anything. The only problem you might encounter is the output impedance on some of the things you might plug them into, like your motherboard or soundcard, since many IEMs are well below 32ohms impedance.

I already crossed the k7xx off the list
I only want an over ear headphones and not in ears
Now i have to choose between the vmoda m100 and the dt770 which one do you think is the better one at least for my needs and genres of music?

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #11 of 13
I already crossed the k7xx off the list
I only want an over ear headphones and not in ears
Now i have to choose between the vmoda m100 and the dt770 which one do you think is the better one at least for my needs and genres of music?

It's a toss up between those two for the most part, but the M100 folds flat. If you're using this on the go that'd be convenient.

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 13
I think both are good but it depends on what sound you like.

I would say that DT770 has cleaner sound and are more comfortable. It also has better isolation and are very durable.
The M-100 have more bass and are more portable and they look cooler.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back