New headphones recommendation
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

adrianf88

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I have sort of an unique situation and I'm hoping somebody around here will be able to help me.

In 2018 at the recommendation of a bunch of friends i bought a pair of these:

https://ausdom.com/products/ausdom-...s-apt-x-low-latency-with-noise-cancelling-mic.

They were on sale on Ali and i managed to snag them at just 19$.

Let me tell you that these are AWE-SOME! In no way shape or form am I able to explain how awesome they sound! They have a warm sound to them but without muddying the mids. The mids and vocals come out clean and sound perfectly natural! I have a friend that does podcasts and i swear to you, these headphones make it seem that he is in room with me. The bass is there and is on point. I listen to a lot of rap and hip hop and these headphones thump! The highs are also not forgotten. You have crisp and bright highs, without them being overpowering. They are a well balanced headphone, that sound all around pleasing and boy are they loud. It literally hurts my hearing if i go above 80% volume on these. So usually i just keep them at 60% most of the time which extends my battery life to well over a week.

I have had the pleasure of listening to a pair of B&O H9s and even though the H9s sound just as good, they do no not have nearly as much bass as the AH3s.

I have also tested a pair of Bose QC 35 and the sound signature is somewhat similar. The Bose drown out everything around while the AH3 have a lot of sound bleed (they actually sound like open back headphones to be honest). But if we take the ANC out of the QC35, they actually sound quite the same.

Now the issue...

Unfortunately, as with most products made with chineseum, the headband started to crack and the headphones are now falling apart. So i began searching for some alternatives.

My requirements are:

1. Clean, warm sound.
2. They need to be loud. I do not want ANC. I just need them to be loud.
3. AptX LL is a must. The AH3s have no perceived lag and i love watching Netflix with them.
4. At least 40mm drivers.
5. No sidetone
6. Given that for the AH3s I paid only 19$ i don't want to spend more than 100$ on a new set.

Would be nice to haves:

1. USB-C for charging (this is just barely in the "nice to have" category... I would list it as a requirement as it's really important for me but unfortunately i know it's hard to come by, even in 2020)
2. Bluetooth 5.0
3. 3.5mm AUX in

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 350BTs the day before yesterday, and yesterday i immediately returned them. The bass was there (not as much as my AH3s but pleasant), the highs were also there but the mids? They sounded muffled. Like i stuck my head down a barrel. Also, even at 100% volume, they were really quiet. I actually struggled to watch a Netflix episode. I had to literally press the headphone on my ear in order to get the driver closer so that i could hear what the characters were talking. To top it all off, the sidetone "feature" of the 350s was really annoying. Whenever i placed or received a call, hearing my keyboard and mouse clicks or my delayed voice in my ears was not a pleasant activity.

So there it is. I'm looking for a unicorn, that sounds better than the HD 350BTs but doesn't break my bank.

I'm really hoping somebody ran across something similar and can recommend another pair of "unicorns".

Have a wonderful day everyone! :)

L.E. I just found these: https://straussandwagner.com/collec...1-active-noise-cancelling-wireless-headphones Unfortunately they do not list AptX as a supported codec. Do any of you guys have them? Do they support AptX?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Unfortunately I don't think what you want exists at that price point.

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 5
Actually i'm currently looking at the Mixcder E10. :) They tick all the "must haves" and actually have all the "Nice to haves" except USB-C. I'm also checking out the Taotronics soundsurge 46 which have everything on my list except AptX LL. They have just simple AptX as far as i can tell. I'll keep looking at reviews and as soon as i make a decision i will update the thread for other people who might be in my position.

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 5
Hello everyone... So I think I need to do a little necromancy and revive this topic... Unfortunately due to the ongoing pandemic I didn't receive any of the chineseum based models I hoped to test. Like the mixcider e10 or the taotronics... So I am up-ing my bid to 200$. Is this something more achievable now?

Thank you all in advance and i'm really looking forward to your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back