New headphones or new speakers
Aug 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kaijohnson0

New Head-Fier
First post on Head-fi! Been reading the forums for a long time and bought my last headphones based on recommendations. But now I come for advice. I live in an dorm suite and have a pretty nice set-up in the living room and a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 in my room. My only headphones are HFI-780's I got about 6 months ago. I've got a little extra money so I figured I'd upgrade something in my setup. I've already decided I'm going to pick up DAC (probably an Audioengine D1), but I don't know if I should get a new set of computer speakers or my first pair of open headphones. I'd like to spend about $200-$300 to spend (after the DAC), but I could stretch that a little bit. I'm looking mostly just for a general new headphones vs new comp speakers, but if you've got a little extra time, more specific recommendations are always appreciated!

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 5
Is this computer audio setup for music? movies? gaming?
Personally I would get better headphones over getting speakers.
I've been hearing good things about the Philips X1/28 Fidelio headphones.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 5
Take my words into consideration: You're the only one capable of telling us what exactly do you need or want. If you're not able to do decided whether or not you need speakers or headphones, you probably don't need anything. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 5
I would suggest waiting until you have saved a little more before going the new speakers route. Better to get a little more significant upgrade. $350 can get you good active speakers. You could look into the Emotiva Airmotiv 4s. Go to your local Guitar Center and listen to powered monitors that they have. Or you could go with passive speakers, but you would also need an amp or receiver of some kind. Cambridge Audio S30 or Wave Crest Audio HLV-1s would be my choice. You can also do better if you work the used speaker market on your local Craigslist.

Then, since you have a bass headphones, I'm guessing a sub might be important? For that, I would look into the Dayton SUB 800 or SUB 1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back