New headphones or new amp?
Apr 5, 2014 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xavier911

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody, I come here in search of advice regarding an inevitable purchase.
I'll start by explaining my situation: not even a year ago I purchased some DT880 Premium (250Ohm version), but I'm not really satisfied with them, as I can't stand the overly bright sound signature. Now I'm considering two solutions to the problem:

1) Buying a new pair of headphones (choices are HD598, HD600 or HD650, because I loved how my PC360 sounded and I feel like going with Sennheiser);
2) Buying a new amplifier to pair with my Xonar Essence ST, and that would be the Objective2, to try and fix the bright signature.

What would you guys say? Do you have any other recommendation to make? Thanks in advance.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 12
Both the DT-880 and the HD-650 really need an amp and an amp won't change the character of the Beyers much. So I would say neither. I would go for something like Audio Technica AD900X if you want open backed headphones. Although you might find those too bright for you as well.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 12
Yes, open backed headphones are what I'm looking for. If you think I might find those Audio Technica too bright, then I don't wanna risk it.
You think my Xonar ST's not enough to drive the HD650s properly? Then the choice narrows down to the HD598 and the HD600.

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 12
I agree. Switching from one solid state amp to another is going to have minimal effect on the brightness of your DT880s, if any at all. Best not to buy solid state headphone amps with the idea of changing the sound.

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 12
An amp is going to make you like a pair of headphones that you don't like.
Have you tried some EQ? It might be an easy fix.

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 12
An amp would refine a headphone's sound, but it doesn't change change their original characteristics, eg. being bright.

I agree that you should try out other headphones.

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 12
The ST already has an amp. I wouldn't count on miracle improvements unless you are listening at volumes where there is no headroom left on the ST amp.

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 12

An amp is going to make you like a pair of headphones that you don't like.
Have you tried some EQ? It might be an easy fix.

I had already tried the EQ route, but I just can't settle down on a satisfying preset; I always feel like I'm touching the wrong frequencies.

Well, thank you all for the clarification, I understand I need another pair of headphones.. *sigh*
Since I find the DT880s bright, is it gonna be the same with the AKG K701s? Because if that's the case, I think I'll go for some HD598s.

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 12
The AKG Q701/K70X series also has a brighter sound signature. I would recommend trying the Senns. If you can order from Amazon, RMA is easy if you buy from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon (not 3rd party vendors who do their own shipping), and the cost of return shipping is often about $10 or $12. Not a bad "demo" price to pay to be able to listen to the headphones at home for a week or so to see if they are right for you. :)

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, might just do that 
biggrin.gif

Okay, here's the deal: I think I've just found a prospective buyer for my DT880 (selling them at €130.. yeah I know, maybe it's a little too low lol), then I'll have exactly €300 to spend. The HD598 is listed at €160, while the HD600 and HD650 at €260. Which one would you recommend out of the 3?

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #12 of 12
Go with the HD600/650. Some people might say, "oh you need a better amp and better DAC for those." That's not really true. The HD600/HD650, because they sound so good, can benefit from a better DAC/amp in a way that lower quality headphones will not. But they would still sound very good with the ST.

To understand the differences between those two, see this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650. Use Tyll's advice to decide. He's generally regarded by a lot of head-fiers to be a great professional reviewer. Might as well listen to him over posters in an Internet forum :wink:

Also, sending you a PM with more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back