New headphones or AMP/DAC upgrade
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wuicho

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.
I have a Hifiman HE-400i and the combo FiiO E17K as a DAC and a FiiO K5 as an amp. IMHO sound is very good and very transparent.
I want to give it a try a new Grados Sr325e for around $295 and pair it whit the FiiO combo I just mention. Or it will be better to invest that budget in a better AMP/DAC maybe a Shiit Asgard 2 / Modi 2 ?

I play mostly Classic Rock an some Jazz

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Me I like having a variety of headphones for different moods and genres.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 10
I have a Hifiman HE-400i and the combo FiiO E17K as a DAC and a FiiO K5 as an amp. IMHO sound is very good and very transparent.
I want to give it a try a new Grados Sr325e for around $295 and pair it whit the FiiO combo I just mention. Or it will be better to invest that budget in a better AMP/DAC maybe a Shiit Asgard 2 / Modi 2 ?

If you like the sound of the HE400i but just want a little oomph, then get the Asgard. This is what I would do since I like the HE400i, kind of...I'd probably hold off a bit and save up for something else. It's not like the K5 is bad, might as well get something a little more refined, like a Meier Jazz FF.

If you don't really like the sound of your system, changing the headphone can do a lot more to alter that. Although even then you can always just hold off and save more to get something else, like a Grado RS2e.

I play mostly Classic Rock an some Jazz

Save up for an RS2e.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 10
I haven't heard either of these headphones, my SR-60e suck, but they do look cool.

rs2e.jpg

dt770.jpg

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks ProtegeManiac, I do like the sound of the HM 400i, if I go whit the Asgard could i use the FiiO E17K as a DAC or I will need also a DAC maybe a Modi?

You just need a 3.5mm to RCA cable, hook up hte 3.5mm end to the line out/in dual purpose port on the E17K. It has lower than 2V but then again so does the Modi2 and Modi2Uber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back