New Headphones Needed -- Specific
Apr 9, 2004 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

camote

New Head-Fier
Hey. I am in need of some new headphones that I can use while running. My current pair are in the Senn. MX400 w/ RS pads but the left driver broke.

The MX400 were my first "real" pair of headphones, and I found the sound to be alright, but even after 1+ years or using them, they still didn't feel right.

With the MX400, they were always falling out (whether it be without pads, with the stock pads, or the RS pads). I am looking for a pair that will not fall out when bouncing around.

The only music I will use them to listen to is rap and hip-hop.

They will be driven by my computer (cheap soundcard) and a portable MP3 player.

I will be using them for jogging so an open pair is what I am leaning towards.

My budget is $200 CDN. That is about $150 USD.

Thanks,
camote

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 6
These don't fall out:
Sharp HP-MD90B
or these
Sony MDR-EX51SP
or these
Etymotic Research ER-4P
or these
Etymotic Research ER-6
or these
Shure E3c

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 6
The snugness of clip-ons really depends on the size/shape of your ears -- I wouldn't jog with my KSC-35s, for instance, they would definitely be annoying loose. Of course others differ, so ymmv.

For real a bouncy acitivty like jogging I'd suggest maybe checking out the KSC-55s, which are cheap (~$20 US), open-back, easy to find, and have a good semi-bassy sound that I think would be fun with rap and hip-hop. They have a rather snug behind-the-neck headband, which some people find too tight, but it might be just the thing to keep them from slipping. I think it might be worth trying a pair.

Another one to consider if you like the earbud feel is the Bang & Olufsen A8; they combine an earbud-style driver housing with an around-the-ear clip, and have a reputation for being decent sounding and comfortable, if occasionally overpriced. I think they can be found for ~$80 US (but also much more, so beware when you shop).

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by slchang
The snugness of clip-ons really depends on the size/shape of your ears -- I wouldn't jog with my KSC-35s, for instance, they would definitely be annoying loose. Of course others differ, so ymmv.

I agree completely I can't run in those things without them hopping off my ears, very annoying. Portapros sound almost as good and stay on much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back