New headphones - need help!
Oct 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

2714silas

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I'm looking for new headphones but I'm a bit confused. Some recommend a pair of headphones while other hate them.
I hope you guys can help me to choose the best pair of headphones for me. Maybe you can compare some or just eliminate a pair.

I've done some research and I've found a lot of pairs I think look nice for me. Here they are:
 - Sennheiser HD 380 pro
 - Sennheiser HD 439
 - Sennheiser HD 449
 - Shure SRH440
 - If there is other then just suggest them (the price has to be like the other headphones)

For me the quality of the sound is very important (of course) but I also have to use the headphones for other things. I think a procent distribution can be like this:
 - 60% music (I mostly listen to spotify's top list, but it would be nice if the headphones could play classic, jazz, house etc. But it's not so important. I'm not looking for a headphone with a outstanding bass and a poor treble. The headphones have to be "a good overall headphone")
 - 15% movies.
 - 15% games.
 - 10% piano (keyboard)

The headphones has to be closed, not open.
The comfort is also important. I'm wanna use them for hours sometimes.
It would be nice if they were easy going with transport but it's not a must.
I also like nice features like a remote control, a safe-keeping bag, removable cable etc..
At last the build quality is important - they don't have to brake after 2 sec..

Source: I'm gonna use the headphones in my iPhone 5, my Asus K55VD computer and my yahama keyboard. But mostly my iPhone 5. Do I need an AMP? Which? I don't wanna use a lot of money on an AMP (MAX 50 USD)

Again I hope you can help me and compare your experiences. I'm happy for every comment.

Best regards, Silas :)

PS: Sorry for my bad English

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 17
Aren't the 439/449's open backed?

Me personally I'd go for the senns and a FiiO e11 amp

Would say the srh440's but if I'm getting shures I'd go with the srh840's

Wait for more opinions though

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for your answer :)
I've heart they're close backed... Anyone who knows anything?
Do you recommend the Senns or the Shures? And why?
In my location (Denmark) the Shure SRH440 costs 110 USD and the Shure SRH840 costs 220 USD. How much is the 840's better? And is it worth 110 USD?
Everyone write! :wink:
Silas

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 17
Hello!

You do not need an amplifier at all with any of the headphones you mentioned above. You should probably use the extra $50 which were used for amplifier on headphones or head to your nearby coffee and have a cup of coffee instead. the iPhone 5 itself sound great enough.'

The Sennheiser HD4xxs are closed headphoens and they do isolates sound. I would second the Sennheiser HD439 as they sound great for your needs. In addition, they are really comfortable 
biggrin.gif

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 17
I would go for the sennheiser over the Shures but if you have the budget the AKG K550 is my favourite in that list. those particular shure models i did not care for.
the K550 may not be the most balanced sound though, it has quite a peaky treble so keep that in mind when you make your decision
As to your comment why some people say one thing and others say something else: Everyone is different, everyone has their own preference in sound signature

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for answering.
I have the AKG K550's.
I'm helping my brother chosing headphones.
Now this is the list:
 - Sennheiser HD439/449 (I think the 439's is best as Bilson says).
 - Shure SRH 440
 - AT ATH-M35/M50 - which one of these? Is the ATH-M35's good (have never heard about them)?
Silas :)

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 17
Okay, I'll take them I think. At last: Anyone who knows anything about the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro? Isn't the ATH-M35's good or is the M50's much better?
Silas :)

The ATH-M50 is a higher end model compared to ATH-M35. Not sure about the HD380 Pro thought

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back