New headphones - need help!
Sep 23, 2013 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

2714silas

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm looking for new headphones but I'm a bit confused. Some recommend a pair of headphones while other hate them.
I hope you guys can help me to choose the best pair of headphones for me. Maybe you can compare some or just eliminate a pair.

I've done some research and I've found a lot of pairs I think look nice for me. Here they are:
 - Sennheiser Momentum
 - Sennheiser HD 280 pro
 - Sennheiser HD 380 pro
 - Sennheiser HD 439
 - Sennheiser HD 449
 - Philips Fidelio L1
 - Shure SRH440
 - Shure SRH 840
 - Audio-Technica ATH-M50
 - AKG (don't know which, maybe the K550's
 - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
 - If there is other then just suggest them (the price has to be like the other headphones)

For me the quality of the sound is very important (of course) but I also have to use the headphones for other things. I think a procent distribution can be like this:
 - 60% music (I mostly listen to spotify's top list, but it would be nice if the headphones could play classic, jazz etc. But it's not so important. I'm not looking for a headphone with a outstanding bass and a poor treble. The headphones have to be "a good overall headphone")
 - 15% movies.
 - 15% games.
 - 10% piano (keyboard)

The headphones has to be closed, not open.
The comfort is also important. I'm wanna use them for hours sometimes.
It would be nice if they were easy going with transport but it's not a must.
I also like nice features like a remote control.
At last the build quality is important - they don't have to brake after 2 sec..

Source: I'm gonna use the headphones in my iPhone 5, my Asus K55VD computer and my yahama keyboard. But most my iPhone 5.

Again I hope you can help me and compare your experiences. I'm happy for every comment.

Best regards, Silas :)

PS: Sorry for my bad English

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 33
Hello!

The momentum check all your needs with two exceptions: narrow soundstage for Classic and comfort; it feels more like on ear to most ears.

You can also look into the PSB M4U1

Any reason for going poor treble?

Billson :)

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 33
Thanks for answering.. Do you know something about the other headphones? :)
Didn't know that these have poor treble..
I only have max 300$.. Are there better closed headphones for that price?
Silas :wink:

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 33
Of the ones you listed, AKG K550 is the most neutral, with very good extension both in the deep bass and high treble.
Shure 440 is mostly neutral with a bit of extra energy in the treble and good mid bass punch but doesn't extend very low (see my sig for review).
Shure 840 is like a slightly more laid back version of the 440, with a bit more warmth in the lower mids and mid bass, and smoother treble.
M50 is v-shaped, with bass and mid treble emphasis. A bit of harshness at 2k and in the treble but good otherwise.
Momentum is a good portable, more neutral than M50 but not as neutral as the others I mentioned above. More of a fun sound.
I'm not familiar with the Philips L1 but the X1 is very good. A bit on the bassy side of neutral but accurate otherwise.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 33
Any reason for going poor treble?

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

For me the quality of the sound is very important (of course) but I also have to use the headphones for other things. I think a procent distribution can be like this:
 - 60% music (I mostly listen to spotify's top list, but it would be nice if the headphones could play classic, jazz etc. But it's not so important. I'm not looking for a headphone with a outstanding bass and a poor treble. The headphones have to be "a good overall headphone")
 - 15% movies.
 - 15% games.
 - 10% piano (keyboard)

Billson I think you misread the OP 
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 33
Thanks for answering.. Do you know something about the other headphones? :)
Didn't know that these have poor treble..
I only have max 300$.. Are there better closed headphones for that price?
Silas :wink:

I've had my refurb AKG K550s for a few weeks now, so far I have not found anything really negative about the audio quality.
The K550s are not an overly warm sounding headphone, not a bass monster.
Not a headphone that I would get tired of listing to, so should not be a problem for long term listening.
I see the K550s selling for 144 Euros ($195), which seem like a fair price for new, my refurb K550s cost $180 (133 Euros), with factory warranty.
It would be nice if the headphone band was a little more padded, which it not really a bother for my bald head.
The iPhone should easy work with the K550s
An external DAC/amp (Fiio E10?) should improve audio quality for use with laptop (maybe Yamaha keyboard).
A Fiio E17 amplifier could be used with IPhone, Laptop and keyboard, DAC feature for sure with laptop, not so sure with keyboard.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 33
The momentum isn't good for gaming or classical. It has a small soundstage and is ever so slightly bass heavy. Its very in your face but its also very detailed but it isnt 'better' than the k550 or a900x. They're on about the same level, exept that the momentum may not be very comfortable, and the momentum is very nice looking and sturdy, plus it has a better seal than the others.

The k550 and a900x are the soundstage giants.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 33
Of the ones you listed, AKG K550 is the most neutral, with very good extension both in the deep bass and high treble.
Shure 440 is mostly neutral with a bit of extra energy in the treble and good mid bass punch but doesn't extend very low (see my sig for review).
Shure 840 is like a slightly more laid back version of the 440, with a bit more warmth in the lower mids and mid bass, and smoother treble.
M50 is v-shaped, with bass and mid treble emphasis. A bit of harshness at 2k and in the treble but good otherwise.
Momentum is a good portable, more neutral than M50 but not as neutral as the others I mentioned above. More of a fun sound.
I'm not familiar with the Philips L1 but the X1 is very good. A bit on the bassy side of neutral but accurate otherwise.

The momentum isn't good for gaming or classical. It has a small soundstage and is ever so slightly bass heavy. Its very in your face but its also very detailed but it isnt 'better' than the k550 or a900x. They're on about the same level, exept that the momentum may not be very comfortable, and the momentum is very nice looking and sturdy, plus it has a better seal than the others.

The k550 and a900x are the soundstage giants.

Totally agree with the above two quote!

Billson I think you misread the OP :wink:

Thanks for the correction! :)

I have also tested the HD439 once it's something like the Momentum in sound signature but of corse, a downgraded version. The HD439 are much more muddier, less detailed but to my ears, the HD439 have better soundstage and imaging in comparison

I would second AKG K550 + FiiO E07K [these K550 really sounds better with a warmer amp xD ]

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back