New headphones - need help!
Sep 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

2714silas

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm looking for new headphones but I'm a bit confused. Some recommend a pair of headphones while other hate them.
I hope you guys can help me to choose the best pair of headphones for me. Maybe you can compare some or just eliminate a pair.

I've done some research and I've found a lot of pairs I think look nice for me. Here they are:
 - Sennheiser Momentum
 - Sennheiser HD 280 pro
 - Sennheiser HD 380 pro
 - Sennheiser HD 439
 - Sennheiser HD 449
 - Philips Fidelio L1
 - Shure SRH440
 - Shure SRH 840
 - AKG K550
 - Audio-Technica ATH-M50
 - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
 - Denon (don't know which model)
 - If there is other then just suggest them (the price has to be like the other headphones)

For me the quality of the sound is very important (of course) but I also have to use the headphones for other things. I think a procent distribution can be like this:
 - 50% music (I mostly listen to spotify's top list, but it would be nice if the headphones could play classic, jazz etc. But it's not so important. I'm not looking for a headphone with a outstanding bass and a poor treble. The headphones have to be "a good overall headphone")
 - 20% movies.
 - 20% games.
 - 10% piano (keyboard)

The headphones has to be closed, not open.
The comfort is also important. I'm wanna use them for hours sometimes.
It would be nice if they were easy going with transport but it's not a must.
At last the build quality is important - they don't have to brake after 2 sec..

Again I hope you can help me and compare your experiences. I'm happy for every comment.

Best regards, Silas :)

PS: Sorry for my bad English

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 13
  The headphones has to be closed, not open.
The comfort is also important. I'm wanna use them for hours sometimes.
It would be nice if they were easy going with transport but it's not a must.
At last the build quality is important - they don't have to brake after 2 sec..

Where are you located?
What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 13
I'm located in Denmark where everything is over-priced (the cheapest iPhone 5 costs fx 1000$ from new)...
I'm going to plug it into my iPhone, my Asus computer and my keyboard.. Maybe also in one of my friends phones.. But mostly in my iPhone :)

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 13
I'm located in Denmark where everything is over-priced (the cheapest iPhone 5 costs fx 1000$ from new)...
I'm going to plug it into my iPhone, my Asus computer and my keyboard.. Maybe also in one of my friends phones.. But mostly in my iPhone :)

The Shure SRH840s should be a little easier for traveling with, as they fold up more then the AKG K550s.
The K550s cups will only turn 90 degrees, so they will fit in a brief case.
I just got the K550 a few weeks ago, they do sound nice.

I'm going to guess the headphones (K550 or SRH840) will sound a little better plugged into the iPhone, over the computer and keyboard (the headphone jack on the iPhone would have a low output impedance then the Asus PC and keyboard)
A low output impedance headphone amplifier for use with the computer and keyboard should improve audio quality, but it's not something you have to have.
A battery powered portable headphone amplifier, like the Fiio E11, could be used with a three audio sources.
A Fiio E07K or Fiio E17 amps would work with all three audio sources, their DAC feature could be used with the computer, maybe the keyboard.
Which make and model keyboard?

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 13
I have a Yamaha keyboard - can't remember which model...
Do you know something about all the other headphones or is the choice between these two as you and MalVeaouX say?

Most of those models listed I've never owned or even used.
I do have the K550, so I know they are good and SRH840 owners have no problem recommending the SRH840.
Sennheiser HD2XX, HD3XX & HD4XX I guess make decent headphone for the masses, but they are not really "audiophile" headphones.

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks a lot for your answers... Which AMP do you think is the best?

It would help to know exactly what sources you plugging the headphones into.

Edit, Guess i should have been better at reading the details in the thread so I I do not ask the same question to something what is already answered.

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 13
I'm new here so I'm not sure exactly what you mean.
My computer is an Asus K55VD-SX033V. It has a 3,5 mm in- and output...
My yahama also have a 3,5 mm in- and output.
However my iPhone 5 is the most impportant. Then it's the Asus computer. The yahama isn't very important. :)

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #12 of 13
  It would help to know exactly what sources you plugging the headphones into.

I've wrote that below :)

In Denmark the Sennheisers are cheaper (except the Momentums). Which one of these is the best:
 - Sennheiser HD 380 pro
 - Sennheiser HD 449
And how big is the difference between the Sennheisers and fx the Shure 840's? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back