new headphones got me more into music
Jan 22, 2006 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

saltylj

New Head-Fier
yeah so i got new um1's (yeas i know theyre considered like crap here, but im a poor student), and the act i finally have iems that arew comfotable and they sound great. so now i think theyve got me more into music and definetly certain genres and songs more than others now. just a weird little phenomena that im sure is common... this happen to everyone?

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 14
Yep, that's how it works.

Before the headphone bug bit me, I would listen to music about 15 hours per week. Now I listen for upwards of 30+ hours per week. To hear music through a good headphone rig is like re-discovering music again for the first time. You can go back and listen to CDs you are very familiar with, and it is like hearing them again for the first time. You will hear stuff in the music you never even knew existed. Then you start to think... 'holy hell I wonder if an even bettter headphone and amp combo would sound even better!?" Then you start thinking that maybe replacing the cable on the headphones would improve the bass response.

So begins your journey into insanity and financial ruin...

In that order.

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan

Before the headphone bug bit me, I would listen to music about 15 hours per week. Now I listen for upwards of 30+ hours per week. To hear music through a good headphone rig is like re-discovering music again for the first time. You can go back and listen to CDs you are very familiar with, and it is like hearing them again for the first time. You will hear stuff in the music you never even knew existed. Then you start to think... 'holy hell I wonder if an even bettter headphone and amp combo would sound even better!?" Then you start thinking that maybe replacing the cable on the headphones would improve the bass response.

In that order.

Amen to that
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 14
You are so right! Now that I have a good foundation for quality listening, even CD's that I never really listen to, have taken on a new level of enjoyment. This is a very good thread!
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan

In that order.

100% agreed

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 14
Not just unused CDs, whole new geners for me. I never listend to anything other then electronic music, psychedelic trance mostly. Since i got here i started listening to stuff like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors. Still psychedelic but you know
tongue.gif
That's the good part. Then comes what lmilhan said. But it won't happen to me. B'cuz i'm smart
wink.gif
[EDIT] and poor
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 14
That's the beauty of this forum.
The donwside is, if you don't stop, you can seriously see the money disappear, but if you know when to stop, then you find a lot of interesting stuff outside the hardware thing. Music sub-forum is really nice because of that. I've discovered a few good albums just by hanging around ...

Hurray to head-fi
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by saltylj
yeah so i got new um1's (yeas i know theyre considered like crap here, but im a poor student)

The UM1's are hardly considered crap around here, they're excellent bang-for-your-buck IEMs.

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 14
Yeah -this happens quite often for me. Everytime I see a new recording I start wondering how good it will sound with my HP-2's, PS-1000's, HD-600, etc and I wind up buying more than I should.
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 14
Yup. Even music genres I never really liked before (like rock) now sound great to me through good headphones. But I only get the upgradeitis when I visit this forum and especially the For Sale section.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 14
same thing happened to me. I even bust out soem classical every once and a while
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back