New headphones for portables rig
Jul 31, 2008 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

madwill

Head-Fier
OK hi guys

I'm looking for a new pairs of heaphones to go with my portable rig

witch is an Samsung yp-z5+xm4(with upgraded opamp)

i recently aquired a pair of rs1 and a cayin ha-1a and i love it

but i'm a IT worker so i listen to music all day long too

i use a pair of sr60 right now but the right ear something go "Bzzzz" on some low frequency and its starting to bug me a lot.

i want to upgrade so i dont feel too sad when leaving my home rig i tough of sr325i because i like heavy music and that would give me the opportunity to change style at work vs at home

BUT as i'm not alone in my workspace, as much as i like the grado sound, i could go closed headphones. thinking about turning level up a bit.

i also have Etymotic er6i or something but i found out that i'm not a in-ear kinda guy, as classy and discreet as they are, i hate puttin them in and pulling em out... plus i love the air of full cans

So if you have any toughs, any pointers i would be glad to ear from you

Thx

Will

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 8
I have used 4 different cans in my portable rig. Started with the Sennheiser PX100's. I then went to Audio Technica ES7's followed by Alessandro MS1's and finally Denon D1001's. Of the four I would have to say I prefer the Denons as #1 followed by the MS1's with the ES7's not far behind (very very close). The PX100's were great but not really fair to compare then to the other three. Check out the Denon D1001's. You won't be sorry.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Maybe you'd like Ultrasone HFI 680 or 780 (bass heavy). They isolate well and have a good forward presentation. I use the HFI 680 most of the day at work. They can handle all genres, but shine with jazz, rock and vocals. And they fold quite nicely.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 8
I used the HFI780's for about a week at work (only kept cans about 2 weeks). Comfort was okay and sound pretty nice. Problem I had was cord was way to long for portable. I will admit though that they were pretty nice cans.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 8
Maybe you should just take the pads off and pull any hairs that have fallen through out.

Usually a buzz during bass on headphones is due to particles getting against the driver.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 8
Do a search for "grattle." The low frequency bzzz problem you describe is probably due to a hair and is usually easily fixed.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 8
Nice i'll look around for the grattle fix

i would love to keep em for a while since they have serve me so well

if i cant get that fixed i'll go for one of theses

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 8
from what i've read, i'd recommend Senn HD280 Pro ($100) or the Denons (D1001).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back