New headphones for piano & PC
Mar 18, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #16 of 46
Hmmm, after another 1/2 hour of research, I started looking at the Audio Technica ATHA700. How do you think these will fare? They seem to be a good mid-point between gaming and piano playing
tongue.gif
. Also, I hear they don't need to be amped, which is always good...for the wallet!

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 46
Audio Technica AD700 Just bought them for my digital piano great sound. Comfortable and you can get them for around 100 now. Great for all around use too. Nice headphones for no amp.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #19 of 46
Ok. I decided I'm going with the Audio Technica's. However, the problem I'm having now is the ATH-AD700 vs the ATH-A700s.

Is there any difference in sound quality between the two? I noticed that the A700s are 64ohm where as the AD700 are 32ohm...

Other than that, the only differences I noted was closed vs open and color...

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #21 of 46
The AD are open I have teh AD700 and my room mate has the A700 my other room mate has teh A500 as far as I can tell the sound is almost the same. Since the A700 are closed there is a little more boom and punches to the bass, but not much. I prefer the sound of the AD700 because they sound a little bit more accurate to me, but my room mates say they sound the same. The build it the same. If going but looks the A700 definitely looks better. Blue and black compared to metallic purple and bronze.... But I'm looking for some accurate sound that isn't too boom since I'm a vocals person. Audio Technica is the way to go if you want it to serve as an all arounder too.

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #22 of 46
Wow...thanks for the response bud! I have a quick question regarding the open vs closed. I play the piano in the same room as my family watches TV. Actually, it's our theater room, so sometimes the audio is blasting from the receiver. Will this be a problem for open headphones? Do they allow too much surrounding noise in?

Thanks!

[EDIT] I also noticed that the AD700 seem to use Velor vs pleather....did you find any difference in comfort between the two headphones?

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #23 of 46
I'm glad you brought that up! With my open HD555's, I can definitely hear most noise in the room. The TV in the opposite corner isn't too bad if the volume's low, but if my girlfriend sits in the chair next to the piano with the laptop and itunes going, it's annoying. She thinks that just because they're big headphones and my ears are covered that I can't hear anything else, no matter how many times I try to explain the open headphone concept!

If you're in a theater room, I'd say you should go with the closed phones.

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #24 of 46
This is quite an interesting thread.

I, too own a keyboard (Yamaha NP-30), I love it. I'm new to this forum and I have a pair of HD580 on the way, along with a HD650 cable, A47 amp. Let see how well these will work with each other.

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #26 of 46
Well, I just pulled the trigger for the A700s. I got them for $114 before shipping & tax which I think is a pretty good deal! Luckily the vendor I ordered them from is in my state, so I should have them by the end of the week or monday at the latest.

Thanks again for all of your help guys!

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #27 of 46
Yea A700 would have been better, the AD700 you can hear EVERYTHING around you. I live in a room away from the living room so I'm ok with the AD700, but listening to music in a car my family can hear what I'm listening to and I can hear them talk. But the sound is great and so is Audio Technica.

Mar 19, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #29 of 46
Look at my sig, I loved my 20$ senns when I first got them, I thought wow, what a great deal for some decent headphones. After I got the AD700's they blasted my senns away like nothing. The senns are in the corner now collecting dust, while the AD700 are always on my head. The senns are durable though they have lasted my constant attacks on them. I tried very hard to "accidentally" break them to giv eme an excuse to get new phones, but apparently, they are very hard to crack and run over... :/

Mar 19, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #30 of 46
Ahh, John, you're killing me! I was itching to get the headphones, and now I'm REALLY itching to get them!

I just checked my order status and they're "Packed". LOL. I should have just drove and picked them up myself...it would have been faster, hah!

[EDIT] Just checked my email, and it was shipped! They just haven;t updated their site yet! IT was shipped USPS too which is awesome, cause they'll be hear sooner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back