New headphones for Metal/deathcore
Jan 12, 2014 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheFlipsideDown

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I have been using my HD 598's for all purpose listening for about 2 years now. I think it's finally time to find some headphones for dedicated listening to my favorite genre/sub genres; Metal, Metalcore, Death Metal, Deathcore, and Hardcore/Post-Hardcore music. I like the HD 598's for softer music like Jazz and classical but they just don't bring out the brutality in metal. My price range is 100-150usd and they will be used only hooked up to my computer so portability/open back isn't an issue. I have searched a bit around the forums and the general consensus seems to be Grado's but what do y'all think?

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 4
I found Grados to have a "unique" signature. Unfortunately, I simply didn't like them. I've listened to both low end and high end Grados - and they were just not for me. I found them very weird in several parts of the response. when I tried to increase the volume, the top end became painful. I think the rather odd response of the Grados is simply not a good match for the dips and peaks in my own old ears.

I know many people that think the Grado sound is the greatest in the world - I just found they are not for me.

I'm telling you this story because I want your expectations to be that the Grado sounds different. If you go into them thinking they are just another open headphone you might be in for a big surprise.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 4
Well even if they do sound "different" do you think that sound would be something that would mix well with my expectations? I want something that's going to make me want to head bang and amp me up, maybe something not so neutral more of a excited sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back