New Headphones for Me?
Jul 3, 2005 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

RockoAPZL1

Head-Fier
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, This Is My First Post so bear with Me....

I don't know If I should be considered an Audiophile but I have an obsession with getting the best sound quality out of anything. iPod, surround sound, my bass guitar,my SACD setup ,and I have a bit of knowhow on audio quality.

Anyhoo, I've been looking for a decently priced canalphone in the price range of $100 to $350 dollars, that can deliver punchy but articulate bass, warm sounding midrange, and bright highs.

I've looked into these canalphones.

Shure E5C
Shure E4C
Etymotic ER-4P
Etymotic ER-6i

I'm fascinated on the technology that goes into these mini-cans and I would like to know everyones opinion on which of these will give me the best bang-for-the-buck value, without requiring an Amp, and how would the compare with my Sennheiser PX200's and fontopias.

I listen to a lot of Rock(ie, Heavy Metal,Progressive,Hard Rock, and Psychadelic rock) ranging from the 60's to today,Jazz, Classical, and a bit of bass heavy Techno.

I NEED EVERYONES INPUT!!!

Jul 3, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 18
What I don't want is an amp... I just wan't good canalphones driven of the iPod. I like the E5C but the 100 ohm impedance is kind of iffy...

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 18
How would the ER-6i compare to the E4C and how would those two compare to My PX200's in terms of sound?
confused.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 18
Am I being Hazed because I'm New?

Jul 3, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 18
I've heard good things about the new Sony Qualia earbuds, same price as ER-4P but the reviews say they have amazing bass.

Not telling you to buy them, just telling you to check them out.

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockoAPZL1
Am I being Hazed because I'm New?

No, you're not being hazed. One of the perils of asking for opinions here is that most people have them, and some hold them with great tenacity.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait for a bit, and you'll get some more input. Holiday weekend probably has a lot of people out and about.

You can also use the Search function to see past discussions. Check out this one that addresses headphones for an iPod.

Regards,

BW

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 18
The Ety 4p's have the best definition in the high end and mid range with a very detailed sound stange. The Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 pro has more bass and to my ears are the most musical and enjoyable to listen to. They are easily driven and do well without an amp. I'm sure an amp would help but is certainly not necessary.

I have the E4c and have listened to the E3's. Compared to the above phones, they sound muddy and lack detail. To my ears they are not in the same quality league as the phones mentioned above.

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shineman
I have the E4c and have listened to the E3's. Compared to the above phones, they sound muddy and lack detail. To my ears they are not in the same quality league as the phones mentioned above.

You think the E4c's are muddy and lacking in detail when compared to the ER4p's? That doesn't seem to be the general sentiment... I wonder if there is something wrong with your Shure's.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
You think the E4c's are muddy and lacking in detail when compared to the ER4p's? That doesn't seem to be the general sentiment... I wonder if there is something wrong with your Shure's.

I find the Ety 4P's are the most detailed in the high and mid range. In that range they put the E4c's to shame. The Shures have more bass and so have a fuller sound on some songs.

If it's bass you're looking for, The UE Superfi 5pro have more of it and much better definition and detail in both the high and low end than the e4c's, IMHO.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shineman
If it's bass you're looking for, The UE Superfi 5pro have more of it and much better definition and detail in both the high and low end than the e4c's, IMHO.

Interesting, I had disregarded the UE's as most people seem to be saying that the high end is crap and they are too bassy.
confused.gif

Out of curiosity what are you listening to these three canalphones on? [source+amp]

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 18
The UE's do have a lot of bass. When I first started listening to them, it seemed to be over the top. However, as I have gone back and forth between the 4P's, E4c's and UE 5pro, I find the UE to be the fullest sound and most enjoyable.

I've always felt I'd rather sacrifice some low end for the detail in the high end. However, with the UE's, I'm hearing a lot of music in the low end that I never heard before. And I don't find I'm missing much in the high end, It's still there but a different balance.

The Ety 4P's still have the most detail in the high end and biggest sound stage. If I want to concentrate on the details, they are the ones I go to, Otherwise, the UE's have become my choice.

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockoAPZL1

I listen to a lot of Rock(ie, Heavy Metal,Progressive,Hard Rock, and Psychadelic rock) ranging from the 60's to today,Jazz, Classical, and a bit of bass heavy Techno.

If you enjoy Rock music with a good bass beat, the UE SF 5pro is the way to go. I use them straight out of my iPod and find them to be very musical.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 18
Will the UE Super.fi cut out a lot or not very of the high range of sound because I also like listening to a bit of acoustic music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back