New Headphones For Gaming / Home Theater - Budget Around 700CAD
May 4, 2018 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jakesteele

New Head-Fier
My town home recently flooded and me and my gf are now back living with my parents. I have a nice audio system I use until about 8-9pm when my parents go to sleep then I am stuck with my headphones. I am looking to upgrade my PC Gaming, Console Gaming, Home Theater listening with a nice pair of headphones around the $700 CAD Range. I tried the HD 600 recently, the cable length was nice but the Sound stage was way to narrow, nothing sounded like it was behind me or way out beside me everything felt in my head.

Budget
- 700 CAD
Source - SMSL M6/Turtle Beach DSS2/Denon AVR S720w
Preferred tonal balance - Like Neutral, Clear Clean Crisp.
Past headphones - HD600 (Dont like narrow soundstage), PM-3 (Enjoyable work headphones), M50x (Gym Headphones, enjoyable)

I read MadLust Envys guide, and tons of reviews on headphones and narrowed it down to a few:

I was looking at possibly getting: HiFiMan Sundara, HD 660s, AKG 172 PRO, DT 990 PRO

Right now I am mostly leaning towards the Sundara or 660s. I play competitive FPS so Sound stage and imaging are important. Also would be nice if it sounds fairly good for movies and netflix.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated, or any hands on experience!

May 4, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 7
Senn HD700
Beyer DT 990
Beyer T1

You will want to keep your options limited to headphones that are 250ohms and higher due to you using a receiver as a headphone amp.

May 4, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 7
For the sake of argument, let’s give ourselves a budget: $20,000. We’ll use this imaginary money to complete an 11.2 system, consisting of a receiver, two front speakers, a centre speaker, four surround speakers, four height speakers, and a subwoofer. ShowBox VidMate Mobdro

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 7
Senn HD700
Beyer DT 990
Beyer T1

You will want to keep your options limited to headphones that are 250ohms and higher due to you using a receiver as a headphone amp.

Sorry I am a little new to impedance, why would the AVR require me to use a higher impedance headphone? I also believe I can use the toslink out directly into the m6 to drive the headphones if need be.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 7
The short answer is AVR receivers work best with high impedance headphones.Low impedance headphones typically sound hollow or get a bad case of bass bloat thru said receivers.
For further explanation look up headphones impedance matching.

Im not familiar with the M6,so I cant advise.

May 4, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 7
All three are known for their staging and detail The DT990 has the most bass of the three.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back